[SOLVED] Firmware on Sharp TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2021
Hello! I have a question, is it possible to overwrite(Sharp Aquos thing) operating system on the sharp tv with an Android os for tv's ? Or if it's possible to install such thing on it... I am fed up with this TV .. there aren't any firmware updates in 2 years and it freezes and it's laggy, there aren't any apps in the Aquos Store . I would like to change it if it's possible..

Solution
Aren't there any ways to like, install other firmwares on them ? Idk android, other os's from sharp's tv or anything ?

The problem is that the hardware is designed by Sharp, so someone would have to create drivers that supports all of the hardware in your TV.

If you pay attention over at XDA, for example, every time a new device comes out, all the work goes into figuring out the hardware and how to add support into the Android OS for the new hardware. This process happens faster for more popular phones because there are millions of them sold, so you are more likely to get people to dedicate their time. This likely won't be the case with TV's. As others have stated, there are things like Chromecast, Roku and such to deal...
Feb 17, 2021
Creating a new OS for a TV is not a trivial thing.

You're referring to the "OS", not the underlying firmware, correct?
The "OS" is the stuff you interact with.
To me firmware means os.
Yes, i know it's not a trivial thing . What i meant is, if he could point out if there might be any OS that work with my tv and if he would like to share that information as well with how to install it.

USAFRet

Titan
To me firmware means os.
Yes, i know it's not a trivial thing . What i meant is, if he could point out if there might be any OS that work with my tv and if he would like to share that information as well with how to install it.
Unless Sharp has put out an Update, you're pretty much out of luck.

Thisis one of the main problems with "smart" TVs. They ain't so smart.

it doesnt work same way as on pc, where u just install any os u want
if theres no custom firmare available on internet and u cant make one yourself (see xda developers for hints)
then ure out of luck.

as far as OS interface lags, it could be running low on ram, cpu throttling, cache drive full, or system drive is full...try some older firmware if tv lets u install it...typical firmware updates usualy gets bloated over time

other than that, u can RMA it if u dont like its performance (if its still in warranty)

D

Deleted member 14196

I NEVER use anything in smart tvs, I use an external player like Chromecast, Roku or AppleTV

problems solved

the reason I never use the built in apps? they ALL suck. get a Roku

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Aren't there any ways to like, install other firmwares on them ? Idk android, other os's from sharp's tv or anything ?

The problem is that the hardware is designed by Sharp, so someone would have to create drivers that supports all of the hardware in your TV.

If you pay attention over at XDA, for example, every time a new device comes out, all the work goes into figuring out the hardware and how to add support into the Android OS for the new hardware. This process happens faster for more popular phones because there are millions of them sold, so you are more likely to get people to dedicate their time. This likely won't be the case with TV's. As others have stated, there are things like Chromecast, Roku and such to deal with terrible firmware, making it even less likely that someone skilled enough to create their own TV OS would spend their free time on it.

Solution

Justin Goldberg

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2014

USAFRet

Titan
There's a need for an open firmware tv.

Before the HD DRM law was enacted, the EFF sponsored a "build your own tv fest" [1]. Obviously it would need to support DRM, but be hacker friendly. Are there any android powered TVs that can be rooted?

I guess the right place for this stuff is really in the connected devices, for example a kodi modded streaming stick.

[1] https://yro.slashdot.org/story/04/07/03/2113238/eff-begins-digital-television-liberation-project
Replying to a 2 year old thread, quoting a 19 year old slashdot post?

Please...no necro.

Status
Not open for further replies.