[SOLVED] First Build – Suggestions and Advice?

Mar 8, 2019
So, I've been a gamer my whole life, but I've lived on console up until 3 years ago when my father bought me a brand new gaming computer by Lenovo. It's a Y50-70 Levovo.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Y50-70-GTX-960M-4K-Notebook-Review.145340.0.html

It's a great Laptop and I've been amazed that it's lasted me 3 years with only one problem. I've been wanting to buidling a computer of my own for a long while, I've just been waiting for my Big Brother to help me but he told me that a year or 2 ago and hasn't done anything to help me besides telling me what I do wrong on my laptop. So anyways. Hopefully looking for a low price but a good set up to start with and build off of later, I'm honestly hoping I can get some helping hands on this. I see there are guides and stuff, but I'm just never sure on if which is great for me, or practically anything really. I hate to say this but I am going into this blind.
Mind helping me anyone? Thank you!

Edit: I forgot to mention. 1 of the MAIN things I really liked about my Laptop was NVIDIA because it helped me a lot on figuring out the graphics settings and everything that I never know what needs to be higher or lower.

Edit 2: Price range about $300-$700. The games I love to play are Siege, Raft, PayDay 2, Killing Floor 2, but I also record for Youtube so I need to have OBS and Discord in the background.

Last edited:
The first question is your budget. You can build a gaming machine for $300 or $30,000. A $300 system is going to perform a lot different from a $500 system, or a $700 system. So, knowing how much you can spend is pretty important to getting you the best performance.

Next, what sorts of games are you playing? Are we talking about the AAA big game releases or E-Sports, Indie Games, etc. Knowing this allows us to tailor the hardware to what will work best for those games, then increase the general quality of use.

Mar 8, 2019
The first question is your budget. You can build a gaming machine for $300 or $30,000. A $300 system is going to perform a lot different from a $500 system, or a $700 system. So, knowing how much you can spend is pretty important to getting you the best performance.

Next, what sorts of games are you playing? Are we talking about the AAA big game releases or E-Sports, Indie Games, etc. Knowing this allows us to tailor the hardware to what will work best for those games, then increase the general quality of use.
Alright, I'll add an edit to the post for newer viewers in the future but also for you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($69.95 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 570 8 GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC - J180-BL ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $685.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-08 11:34 EST-0500

Alright, I parted out a system to maximize performance just within your budget. We can adjust as necessary but I think this will be a solid system for your usage.

I decided to go with a Ryzen 5 2600 for the CPU. It is a 6 core/12 thread part that enables pretty darn good multitasking, and it is a very popular choice with game streamers as it can handle CPU encoding and gaming with minimal impact to framerates. The motherboard is just a reasonable motherboard at a reasonable price. I went with 8 GB of DDR4 3200. It is nice high speed RAM and high speed RAM makes Ryzen based systems work better. Your hard drive here is a 500GB SSD that slots right into the motherboard. It has pretty good performance and if you needed more storage you could add a mechanical drive later. For the video card the best I could fit in the budget with that Ryzen 5 is the Radeon RX 570, the 8GB version. It should max out settings on most games in 1080p with little trouble. The case is just a cheap case, adjust to preferences, although it might impact the price, and finally the power supply is a very nice Seasonic 550W unit that will power your system, be efficient, and has some modular cables so you only use the cables you really need and reduce clutter.

Now, I picked parts according to what a game streamer would want... but I just noticed that you record for YouTube... you didn't say stream, so... we could go down on the CPU and up on the GPU, or we could go down on the CPU and up on the storage if 500 GB doesn't seem like enough, or... well a lot of other "or" things.

Thoughts?

Reactions: MsArcticFoxy
Solution
Mar 8, 2019
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($69.95 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 570 8 GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC - J180-BL ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $685.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-08 11:34 EST-0500

Alright, I parted out a system to maximize performance just within your budget. We can adjust as necessary but I think this will be a solid system for your usage.

I decided to go with a Ryzen 5 2600 for the CPU. It is a 6 core/12 thread part that enables pretty darn good multitasking, and it is a very popular choice with game streamers as it can handle CPU encoding and gaming with minimal impact to framerates. The motherboard is just a reasonable motherboard at a reasonable price. I went with 8 GB of DDR4 3200. It is nice high speed RAM and high speed RAM makes Ryzen based systems work better. Your hard drive here is a 500GB SSD that slots right into the motherboard. It has pretty good performance and if you needed more storage you could add a mechanical drive later. For the video card the best I could fit in the budget with that Ryzen 5 is the Radeon RX 570, the 8GB version. It should max out settings on most games in 1080p with little trouble. The case is just a cheap case, adjust to preferences, although it might impact the price, and finally the power supply is a very nice Seasonic 550W unit that will power your system, be efficient, and has some modular cables so you only use the cables you really need and reduce clutter.

Now, I picked parts according to what a game streamer would want... but I just noticed that you record for YouTube... you didn't say stream, so... we could go down on the CPU and up on the GPU, or we could go down on the CPU and up on the storage if 500 GB doesn't seem like enough, or... well a lot of other "or" things.

Thoughts?
So far it seems perfect. Thank you so so much!