first build help !

Eltiko

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Hi everyone !
I want to build my first computer, it's meanly for gaming. I wanna be able to run all game at 1080p and max setting. i've look some setup around the internet to get some inspiration here's what i've come with.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/tiko889/saved/#view=HMsWGX

I need your opinion, is my set-up enough to last a couple of year ? Does every ting will work together ? Will i be able to run all game at max setting ? If you have to change, upgrade something what will it be and why ? DO you think 8 Ram is enough ?

Thanks you for your answer

Solution
That's a decent built that can be improved with a little tuning. In response to the post above, there's always something new and better coming out in the next three to six months. The new releases are unlikely to be revolutionary and unlikely to completely disrupt pricing like the GTX9 series release did.

You have to ask yourself, do you want a good powerful computer now, or do you want the cutting (and perhaps bleeding) edge later? Since there's not configuration available for the latter today, I'll go on by tuning the build you have.

CPU - good choice.
Cooler - overkill. Noisy, less efficient, and does not cool motherboard well. It is a good liquid cooler, you just don't need it. Something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO...
on the ram buy a kit that has two 4g sticks. that make the mb run the ram at it fastest speed.
i would hold off till end of summer on the build if you can. few issue that are out there. one intel brodwell for pc chips will drop sometime..mb vendors for z97 and h97 have dropped bios updates for it. ati/amd 300 cards are dropping soon. may make nvidia drop or shuffle there gpu price. also windows 10 is dropping this summer too. it a lot better right now then old windows 8.1 is. sometime after summer intel is dropping skylake the 1151 cpu that replaces brodwell use ddr4 ram and 100 ser chipset.

That's a decent built that can be improved with a little tuning. In response to the post above, there's always something new and better coming out in the next three to six months. The new releases are unlikely to be revolutionary and unlikely to completely disrupt pricing like the GTX9 series release did.

You have to ask yourself, do you want a good powerful computer now, or do you want the cutting (and perhaps bleeding) edge later? Since there's not configuration available for the latter today, I'll go on by tuning the build you have.

CPU - good choice.
Cooler - overkill. Noisy, less efficient, and does not cool motherboard well. It is a good liquid cooler, you just don't need it. Something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for $30, or a midrange top=down cooler for $60-70 would be better.
Motherboard is fine. Do you plan later SLI?
Memory - 2 x 4 uses dual channel and is a little better.
Storage changed a little for cost.
GPU: Good Others are also good.
Case: Is a personal choice. I'd use something cheaper, but it's your money, and your aesthetic.
PSU: If you do not plan SLI, then 520w will be enough. Otherwise, the EVGA-110-B2-0750 is an excellent PSU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.46 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($130.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.00 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($332.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($115.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $1160.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-19 08:36 EDT-0400

It's easier for review to put the build into the post using bbcode.

Solution

Eltiko

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015

Thanks for your answers, i will definitely look for two 4gb of memory and change the cpu cooler. For now i don't think of doing SLI but maybe later. I really want a set-up that can be upgrade.

Thanks for your answers, i will definitely look for two 4gb of memory and change the cpu cooler. For now i don't think of doing SLI but maybe later. I really want a set-up that can be upgrade. That's what you think now, and I accept that, but most users do not do that, and it took me quite a while to come to that realization myself.

CPUs last many generations. i5 2500Ks are still good. You may put in a bit more memory, and you can consider adding a second GPU, and perhaps some storage, but that's about it.

Practically, when it comes to adding a second GPU, you will have to choose between adding a second obsolete GPU (like the one you have now will be in three years time) or selling it and getting a new single better GPU.

My philosophy is to build a system that should last three good years, the be prepared to salvage what I can, and start again.