Question First build looking for advice

Adz90

Prominent
May 24, 2019
I am currantly looking at building a mid tier gaming unit for my daughters birthday. It will be my first build but ive always been handy with tech repairs and building in the past.

I picked up a i5 9600k new for cheap as the guy was upgrading.
and was looking for some advice on the rest of my build ive attached a link for pcpartpicker.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Rzty6s

The pc will be used mainly for gaming and homework but im looking for something that will last and player the newst gakes with out any trouble going at 1080p

Im mostly worried about the case as it comes with 1 rear fan will the coolmasters fit in the thermaltake case

I may overclock in future if i start to tinker with it more but not for now

Thanks.
Adam

For this budget I recommend Ryzen for better gaming longevity and hardware prioritization:
  1. 10 more threads of the R7 2700 will give you way longer gaming longevity and the ability to upgrade your grpahics card multiple times before a platform upgrade is necessary.
  2. If you only go with one ram module your motherboard will only be able to run in single channel and not dual channel.
  3. Going Ryzen will allow for a better graphics card now which only adds to the overall system performance and time/demands before an upgrade is necessary.
  4. I would not trust that quality power supply with any new system components. This Seasonic will be more reliable.
PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£193.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (£124.97 @ Box Limited)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£78.70 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£56.79 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (£264.78 @ Aria PC)
Case: Thermaltake - View 27 ATX Mid Tower Case (£68.47 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£51.06 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£83.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Cooler Master - MF120R ARGB 3in1 59 CFM 120 mm Fans (£58.38 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £981.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-24 14:49 BST+0100

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
@Adz90 - Is the £227.99 price what you're paying for the i5, or is it just what PC Part Picker is showing?

That said, I do like @SgtScream 's choices, as, with about the same budget, you're getting a better CPU, better Video Card, and the memory selection is better (2x8GB to run in dual-channel mode, where the 1x16GB is going to run only in single-channel mode, thus hindering performance a bit).

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
The gpu is not enough for 1080p in future. And its also holding back the cpu. this is an unbalanced combo.
I would recommend 1660ti for around 280$ which i have right now and its giving me near 90 fps in modern games at 1080p ultra settings

9600K is a great processor and is entirely appropriate for a GTX1060 class graphics card or even higher.
I like the case.
It has plenty of front intake air capability with 3 120mm front intakes included.
You have 155mm available for a good air cooler which is all you need.
I can suggest the scythe kotetsu mark II
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/sM66Mp/scythe-kotetsu-mark-ii-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scktt-2000
or the cryorig H7
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7
Each comes with adequate paste.

When you buy ram, buy a 2 stick kit(2 x 8gb) to be able to run in faster dual channel mode.
Speed is not that important to Intel.

I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.
120gb is minimum, it will hold the os and a handful of games.
But, many things default to the "C" drive.
When a SSD nears full, it will lose performance and endurance.
240gb is the recommended minimum.

If you can go 240gb, or 500gb you may never need a hard drive.

You can defer on the hard drive unless you need to store large files such as video's.
It is easy to add a hard drive later.

Samsung EVO is a good choice for performance and reliability.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/6yKcCJ/samsung-860-evo-500gb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e500bam

I presume you have the XFX psu already. It is OK for a GTX1060 or perhaps more.

No need for extra fans since the case comes with them already.

A tip for assembly:
Buy yourself a longish #2 magnetic tip Philips head screwdriver.

Adz90

Prominent
May 24, 2019
Thanks for the quick replys guys.

Yeah i all ready have the i5 the only bit thats set far, and the gpu ive been looking at everything from 1050tis to the 1080s bit not seen the 1660ti, ill go have a look see what the prices are like at the moment,

is it possible to run with only ssds, as storage as i might have a look at the 1tb samsung evo 970s. Less parts the daughter can kill the better till she learns haha.

Thanks again

Reactions: King_V
Here are my suggested tweaks to your build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For £0.00)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler (£25.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£159.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£66.41 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£98.59 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card (£164.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£51.06 @ CCL Computers)
Case Fan: Cooler Master - MF120R ARGB 3in1 59 CFM 120 mm Fans (£58.38 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £777.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-24 18:43 BST+0100

I swapped in a good quality air cooler (no risks of leaking) and went with the less expensive but still strong for 1080p gaming RX 580. I switched to a dual-channel RAM instead of 1 16-gb stick, and got a better quality PSU. I also went with a single 1 TB SSD, though adding a spinny drive is still a good idea.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
is it possible to run with only ssds, as storage as i might have a look at the 1tb samsung evo 970s. Less parts the daughter can kill the better till she learns haha.
Definitely. Plus it's a much faster experience for booting up, loading stuff, etc. More expensive, but if you have the budget for it, well worth it. Plus, in case of any kid-clumsiness moments, jarring an operating SSD doesn't do anything, whereas a spinning hard drive can crash the head if there's a shock/impact while running.

GTX1660ti would be appropriate.
It is rated 71.4 on tom's gpu hierarchy chart:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
I might suggest that you buy one of the EVGA units.
You get a 90 day upgrade option to change to a better performing card if you find the GTX1660ti lacking.
Read the fine print for details on their web site.

I think there may be several different vie 27 cases with different fan compositions.
One, I see is the white version which seems to include 4 fans:
https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-view-27-snow-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811133346

The thermaltake web site link shows only one fan is included:
https://www.thermaltake.com/C_00002942.htm
120mm fan mounting is standard and the ones you linked should be no problem if the case does not come with fans.

I have been perfectly happy with a single 500gb ssd. It holds a fair number of games.
I might suggest one of the m.2 format ssd's.
They plug into the motherboard with no need for power or data cables.
They come in both sata and pcie variants.
The pcie devices are quicker, particularly in sequential processing.
This is not as important as it might sound.
90% of activity will be small random I/O.

a 500gb sata m.2 device is $97
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-500gb/p/N82E16820147677
1tb is $160

The pcie version is the Samsung 970 EVO plus at $125 for 500gb and $245 for the 1tb version.
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-plus-500gb/p/N82E16820147742

Remember, you can always add more HDD/SSD drives later so I think 500gb would be fine.

Adz90

Prominent
May 24, 2019
Thanks again for the advice and ideas a few parts have changed on the build so far, this is where im at now.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/TJXx8Y

I managed to pick up a few deals, on some of the parts ive ordered. So price dropped and could spend elsewhere.

Im now wondering about the two m.2s ssds ive chosen ill be using the smaller cheaper wd green as boot and basic applications while using the wd black sn750 for games, is this a good idea or is it better to go for one 1 large 1tb samsung instead of the two western digital.

Also the power supply im currantly looking at is a evga gq 650w gold,
Ive looked all over and half of people are slagging the psu of or prasing it i was wondering if any one had some experiance or knew abit more about it so many different sites have it in different tiers.

Im down to needing just the psu, ram, and i think thermal paste for cpu cooler as i cant find if thr aio comes with it all ready but was going to get 4g mx-4 for 4.99 from amazon.

As of yet i can still send stuff back if theres anything thats a serious no no, hoping theres not to much after ive read so many pages of information lol.

The graphics card ive selected in the list was only put there to get a clearer wattatge number and im looking the 1660ti, metioned above or a 1060, 1070,1070ti depending on prices at the time but will most probably be the last purchase i make

Thanks again
Adam

Last edited:
I definitely think a single 1tb Samsung EVO m.2 ssd would be better.
It is much easier to manage a single address space.
A 120gb ssd for windows is no good.
Many things default to the C drive, and when it fills up it will lose performance and endurance.
The EVO is fine, the PRO versions have longer endurance, but at 1tb, your drive will be long obsolete before it runs out of update capability.
You could use either the 860 sata version or the 960 pcie version.
The pcie version has faster sequential performance, but, of course it costs more.
On a budget, the sata version is fine.

Your list shows you purchased the wd drive. True?? can you return it?

The EVGA GQ unit shows up as a tier two unit on this list:
That looks fine to me.

Your cooler will come with an adequate paste.

Adz90

Prominent
May 24, 2019
Thanks again for the quick replys guys,

Yes i can still return the wd black sn750 as it was locally brought at 50 quid, i will definilty have a look at the 1tb ssds though if she ever does install anything the easier the better i think.

I really only picked the 2 ssds as my daughers plays mostly sims 4, minecraft, and similar games.

And ill probably stick pubg g, apex and a few old school rpgs, rts and anno or similar city games, on it for when im off and shes at school haha.

Thanks

g-unit1111

Titan
For this budget I recommend Ryzen for better gaming longevity and hardware prioritization:
  1. 10 more threads of the R7 2700 will give you way longer gaming longevity and the ability to upgrade your grpahics card multiple times before a platform upgrade is necessary.
  2. If you only go with one ram module your motherboard will only be able to run in single channel and not dual channel.
  3. Going Ryzen will allow for a better graphics card now which only adds to the overall system performance and time/demands before an upgrade is necessary.
  4. I would not trust that quality power supply with any new system components. This Seasonic will be more reliable.
PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£193.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (£124.97 @ Box Limited)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£78.70 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£56.79 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (£264.78 @ Aria PC)
Total: £981.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-24 14:49 BST+0100

£58 for a case fan? That seems a bit excessive. You could drop that and put that money toward getting a GTX 1660TI, that would be a far better purchase than an RX580. That particular case comes with three preinstalled already.

I definitely think a single 1tb Samsung EVO m.2 ssd would be better.

Yeah but you could also get the 1TB Intel 660P for less than £100 and save some money over buying a Samsung drive.

Last edited: