First build - mini-ITX (i3-2100/ Intel DH67CF/M350 case)

bsasbuild

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hello,

This will be the first time I'm gonna build my on system. I've been reading alot here on the forum for the last couple of weeks to gain some information of what I wanted to do. Difficulty is, when you do not have a solid idea before reading, that you start seeing more and more possibilities :)

I want to build a small computer (the M350 Universal case seems ideal) with afordable and available mofo and processor that could serve me for as long as possible. I am not a gamer, so I don't need a separate video card. I will use it mainly for HQ movies (HTPC if you will) and regular internet/music/etc. I wanted it to be small because I'm not sure where I'll live next year, so I wanted it to be portable and neat on my desk.

The problem is that I live in Argentina, where it is a lot harder to acquire all the goods. A lot of the processors (e.g. i5-2500s) and HDD are simple not available here.

Taken all that into account I finally came up with a list of components:
- SSD SATA3 (2½") OCZ Agility 3 60 Gb
- Intel DH67CFB3
- i3-2100 3,10 Ghz 3 Mb Box
- DDR3 1333 Mhz Kingston 2x4Gb
- Mini-ITX Mini-Box M350
- picoPSU-120 12V

Before buying all the components, I would love to here your comments. I am still in doubt of whether I should take a regular (but 500GB) HDD instead of a SSD - is it really that much faster or whether 2x2Gb DDR3 should be enough.

QuietFreak

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

Amazing, I almost have the exact same setup I just built.

The problem you're going to run into with this, is that the CPU with stock fan will not allow you to mount any 2.5" drives because the stock Intel fan will get in the way. I haven't purchased a new CPU fan yet, but I plan to, as soon as I find out which one to get. I do not want to just buy and try.

Other than that, I think you're good to go. No need for an SSD. I didn't get one. I got a regular 320gb drive.

I also got a weaker PicoPSU... the 90 i think, driven by a 72 watt adapter...

itxgamer

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
If you can get the i3-2105 you might consider that. Same as the i3-2100 but with the upgraded HD3000 graphics. It will give you a bit better graphics perfomance than the HD2000 on the i3-2100.