First Build - Obvious Mistakes?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mrmarkb

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Hello! First time builder here, looking for any quick advice or critique on my build. My budget is $2,400US and I'm interested in ATI's Eyefinity technology for production and gaming. I own and operate a 3 man graphic design company and have always relied on Apple products for our hardware. We'd like to make the switch to Windows 7 and enjoy a bit of gaming on the side. Please let me know if there are any gaping holes in my build, and also if you spot any incompatible parts. Also, if you have any critique of the parts chosen, I am open to all suggestions. Thank you and have a good one!

Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz
ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA
G.Skill Ripjaw Series 8GB DDR3 1333
ASUS ROG Matrix Radeon 5870 2GB
Intel X25-V SSD 40GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Cooler Master HAF 932
Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w

Monitors:
2x ASUS VW246H 24"
Note: I have a 24" Apple Cinema Display HD that I plan to use as the main (center) monitor in this 3x1 setup.

Solution
IMO who really cares about the CUDA thing even without CUDA 460 sli destroys any competition. And it shouldn't be too long before CUDA is enable if not already. Keep in mind 460s are the extremely popular cards and CS5 is also extremely popular it won't be long before they'll work together.

And if I'm correct Nvidia makes those drivers, I could be wrong though, but NVidia has a well deserved reputation of making good drivers.

And yeah sorry for the link problem.

As for the case I would get the all red interior silverstone ft02

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163165&cm_re=ft02-_-11-163-165-_-Product

Sure it's expensive at 260 but the cooling performance is mind boggling. It's first of all mid tower which is...

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
yes theoretically they should beat them. 5870s have 70percent scaling for the second gpu and even less for the third and don't OC as well as 460s. And 460s have much much better schaling almost perfect on the first gpu. But sadly you can't 3-way sli standard 460s. But they would be faster if there were custom 460s.