First custom built PC, CPU overheating. PLEASE HELP

jon.wen1994

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
Hi everyone,

I built my first PC a month ago, with the help of an experienced friend, and everything was all good until today.

Before today, idle temps for the CPU sat at around 35c. Now for some reason, after playing a game, the CPU is overheating and the cpu fan speeds are going up and down. the idle cpu temps now ranges from 78-100 on idle, 100 if I simply browse the web.

Build:
CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240 AIO
intel i7 7700k kabylake
evga GeForce gtx 1070 ftw
ASUS ROG Maximus ix hero mobo
EVGA 650w supernova PSU

I have already tried reinstalling the AIO and cleaning/ reapplying the thermal paste. Same thing is happening. I also reinstalled windows to make sure nothing that I installed was making the CPU run weird in the background.

I don't know what else to do. Any advice is appreciated!

Solution

1.2v maximum voltage is excellent. Then, looks like there's something wrong with the pump. I never had a watercooler and I've never experienced using one, but there must be a way to check and confirm if the pump is working or not.

And a dead pump is most likely the case here, because you confirmed that the heatsink is properly seated and everything else is fine, and here, on my PC, with 27C ambient temp, my i7 7700k OC'ed to 4.8 GHz at 1.3v vCore is running idle at 35-45C.

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Every newbie to a custom built PC is quite likely to face this. In most scenarios, it's the CPU heatsink's metal part not properly touching the CPU/not properly in contact.

Then, check your CPU voltages. Should be around 1v-1.35v and if its higher, you need to lower it.

jon.wen1994

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017

The CPU voltage ranged fdrom .67v-1.20. Would that be too low?

But the heatsink was doing fine for this whole month up until now. I've reseated the cooler once already. I could try again. Is there a technique to fastening the cooler to the cpu?

Adec001

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
If the CPU cooler is seated correctly, most likely cause is that your pump is dead. There isnt many points of failure on AIO that can cause this.
Return that AIO if you still have warranty and get yourself nice air cooler, which is far less likely to fail (note, if you re overclocking that 7700k close to 5ghz you might still want an AIO)

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013

1.2v maximum voltage is excellent. Then, looks like there's something wrong with the pump. I never had a watercooler and I've never experienced using one, but there must be a way to check and confirm if the pump is working or not.

And a dead pump is most likely the case here, because you confirmed that the heatsink is properly seated and everything else is fine, and here, on my PC, with 27C ambient temp, my i7 7700k OC'ed to 4.8 GHz at 1.3v vCore is running idle at 35-45C.

Solution

jon.wen1994

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
Ok so I can confirm that the pump went bad. I installed a friend's crappy stock CPU cooler and temps went back to normal. I just barely passed newegg's 30 day return policy, so it looks like I'm going to have to just RMA it. Hopefully I just got unlucky with a bad batch.

Thanks everyone for all the input!

If you're not overclocking, you can just RMA the AIO, get a Hyper 212 evo or something to use, then sell the new AIO that you get from the RMA process (since it's new) and keep the air cooler. That's what I'd do; unless you plan on heavily overclocking or just want the AIO for the looks there's not really that much of a reason to have one.

jon.wen1994

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017

First of all, didn't mean to down vote your comment, sorry.

And I think I will just continue using the aio in case I want to overclock in the future when I learn more about it. And also I like the cleaner look of an aio.

But thanks for the suggestion!