First ever 4700 dollar build

Joniostis

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Hi there,

This is my first ever build. I do have experience in upgrading etc so it's not really new to me. What do you guys think, any recommendations or changes I have to make?
I want it to be a red accentuated build.

Few things i wouldn't like to change and why:
*PSU: red accent + room to spare (watts) + clean full black cables.
*RAM: has to be that speed, that color, and that capacity, although if you find something similar at a comparable price let me know.
*Case: from all the cases i like this one the best as far as looks go and it's just simply very good and high quality for decent price.
*MOBO: looks, ROG armor, wifi, integrated audio, red accent, very overclockable and all high quality parts.
I would consider changing the processor but i don't wanna step down in performance and as far as I know this is the top performing lga1150 cpu, so changing the platform would require another MOBO wich i really don't want.

I could change the GPU but it HAS TO BE a 780ti, and the red just fits in and it's one of the best performing AND cheapest non-reference models out there but suggestions are welcome.

Please take in the mind the price of your changes. i could swap out a few different things to have more room to invest in other parts but i really really don't wanna go above 4700. A few dozen bucks is fine but that's about it.

Some filters:
Parts have to be red and/or black accentuated.
Price DOES matter
preferably from the more known brands (all brands i list under this are fine of course).
Mouse has to have high DPI, be optical and wired.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k (€282)
GPU: 2 x MSI GeForce GTX 780ti GAMING 3G in SLI (2 x €611)
MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Formula (€259)
RAM: 32GB Mushkin Blackline 2400mhz (€286)
PSU: Corsair AX1200i (€267)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (€148)
HDD: WD Black 3TB (€165)
CASE: Corsair Obsidian 750d (€133)
CPU COOLER: Corsair h100i (€97)
MOUSE: Cooler Master CM Storm Recon (€40)
KEYBOARD: ROCCAT Arvo (€55)
MONITOR: Asus PB278Q (€419)
FANS:
*CASE:
2 x Corsair Air Series AF140 Red LED Quiet Edition (front = intake) --> (2 x €17)
1 x Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition with red ring (back = exhaust) --> (€18)
*CPU COOLER:
2 x Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition with red ring (bottom of radiator = ???) --> (comes in one pack = €23)

I live in Belgium so 21% VAT is already applied.

Total: €3448
Shipping: €86 --'
End Total: €3534

Price is in euros of course but converted to dollars that should be around 4700-ish.

As you can see i'm gonna swap out the stock h100i fans for some red static pressure one's.
They have to be applied at the bottom so they are visible, I'm not 100% sure how they have to be oriented though. I think it's with the logo down blowing on the GPU's right? So they pull fresh air inside, through the radiator?! Some help or verification would be nice as far as those fans go.

I'm also gonna change the case fans for the red airflow-optimized ones.
--> any suggestions on what i could do with the stock fans of both the h100i and case??

It's a pretty serious build and I want it to look as good as possible.

All help is appreciated, many thanks :D

Joni

Honestly, the build is very good, but I'd still change some stuff:
You should get a WD Black and not a Red, because the Black is more performance oriented.
You don't those many fans. The case already has three, so I'd only buy one and put it on an empty spot. You should have two fans in the front, one in the back and one in the top.
And finally, I don't think you need 32 GB of RAM unless you're doing really heavy stuff, but if that is what you really want, then go for it.

Joniostis

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

Hey, thanks for your reply.

WD Black i agree, but i'll take 2tb then to save a little on the cost. 2tb is enough anyway :p
The fans are just for the looks, the not visible front led ones will throw a nice red glare over the whole system and the back one will just have the red ring also for looks, i really need that.
32GB is really what I want btw :)

Thanks anyway

Joni

gameboy1998

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

What will you using this PC for?

16GB is plenty of RAM even for video editing but if you have to go with 32GB, its fine as you won't have to upgrade your RAM for at least the next half a decade but I do not recommend going with 2400Mhz RAM, 1866Mhz or even 1600Mhz should be plenty, Look at the G.Skill Ripjaws X RAM which will go well with your color scheme.`

Totally agree with you, I think he should get something like this, but in red: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c9q32gxm
Or even better: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c9d16gxm

Joniostis

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

i read that high speed RAM does make a difference in modern games, like bf4 (http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/bf4-loves-high-speed-memory) but if that's all it does i'm willing to step down on RAM speed. and the 32gb is just to be "futureproof"

gameboy1998

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
High speed RAM makes a difference but only in some cases (like BF4), for a technical standpoint the advantages outweigh the price and honestly 1866Mhz is very fast.

You can never build a futureproof machine even if you had all the money in the world. Example DDR4 will be out in 2014 and motherboards in 2015 will not support DDR3, Nvidia will release their 800 Series of GPUs in Q1 2014.

But at this point I will recommend not getting 32GB of memory, 16GB or even 8GB will do just fine because RAM prices are currently higher than usual and secondly RAM will only get cheaper in the next 2-3 years when games will start using 32GB.

Latest posts