Discussion First impressions of Nvidia's DLDSR - What do you think?

Hey there,

So, as some of you Nvidia RTX GPU owners will be aware, with the latest release of the GeForce driver, Nvidia have introduced DLDSR! I'm wondering if you've tried it out, or if you can't be bothered and in general, what your experience of it is? Pro's/Con's?

My own first impressions are that I'm pretty impressed. I do realize I've a 1080p monitor, so might be more useful for me than higher res monitors, but still useful nonetheless.

I've only really tried it out on BF V so far, but will work through my Steam and Origin collections to see how useful it is across the board. Anyways, as I mentioned first impressions are very good. Tried it on 1440p (1.78x) and the results were obvious. At same in game settings (Ultra - DLSS off) I hit about the 144fps mark throughout a gaming session. I estimate about a 10-15% loss in overall FPS from native . For 2715 x 1527 (2.0x) the drop in FPS was a little more pronounced with about a 25% hit in FPS averaging about 120fps. I can't run DLSS on BF V unless I use Geforce Experience auto settings, but this will skewer my results, so have left it out of the equation for now. Will test again with it soon.

Things I like:

Increase in resolution/fidelity
More immersive gameplay/detail

Things I don't like:

I need a new monitor!! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Trade off in FPS (But this is expected at higher res anyway)

Just testing now on 2.25x 2880x1620.

Anyway, would like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Last edited:
To be honest, I have never actually liked these Image sharpeners that lessen image quality in favor of faster FPS.
My main system is similar to yours and plays all games I have tried @1080p max/ultra/movie settings.
Flight simulators are a different animal though.

5600x
Prime x570-P
2x8 Gskill 3600 cas 16-19-19
FE 3060TI
RM850x
Purerock 2
Asus VS247H-P

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
To be honest, I have never actually liked these Image sharpeners that lessen image quality in favor of faster FPS.
My main system is similar to yours and plays all games I have tried @1080p max/ultra/movie settings.
Flight simulators are a different animal though.

5600x
Prime x570-P
2x8 Gskill 3600 cas 16-19-19
FE 3060TI
RM850x
Purerock 2
Asus VS247H-P

Yeah, that's certainly true of DLSS. Although I don't see the difference too much when comparting screenshots between DLSS on performance or balanced. But there is an uptick in FPS for sure. It's the difference sometimes between playability or not at one res or another.

DLDSR on the other hand is the reverse and upscales, at the cost of FPS. If you've a powerful GPU, and are hitting 144hz at 1080p, scaling up can give 1440p visuals with the same FPS output. It's pretty cool. Much better than the previous DSR, which really killed FPS. This version is much better.