First PC Build. Please critique.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you like this build?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

TechEnthusiast88

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

I understand, and I'm willing to spend between $250 and $300. I may need to ask you for SSD recommendations, though. :lol:

My concern is transferring the OS onto the SSD. Would I need to buy Windows 8.1 again?

Couple options you could go with for an SSD of that size. My suggestion would definitely be the 500gb Samsung 840 evo.
As for reinstalling the OS, just go to YouTube and simply type in "how to reinstall os on laptop." This would be better than me describing it over text. You will not need to buy os again. Your computer should come with the windows 8.1 CD and a product key with it or on the bottom of the laptop

TechEnthusiast88

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

I'm excited, and I think I'm ready to buy the laptop and the 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO.

The last hurdle, I suppose, is deciding where to buy everything. I'd like to minimize the possibility of receiving a defective product from a poor retailer.

ASUS provides a list of retailers (link). Do you have any recommendations based on that list?

EDIT

I just noticed that in your previous post you sent a link to Micro Center, which is an authorized ASUS retailer. Do you recommend that I buy it from there or somewhere else?

EDIT

I read a review on Amazon about swapping the HDD for an SSD using a hard drive caddy.

"If you intend to swap the HDD for an SSD and use a hard drive caddy, make sure the latter is 9.5 mm thick and not 12.7."

* Could you please clarify whether I need to be concerned about this?

She also wrote,

"There is no copy of windows 8.1 included, nor any sticker with a code beneath the machine. The activation key is encrypted in the BIOS instead, so when you're looking to get a windows 8.1 iso to make your new install on the SSD, make sure it is Windows 8.1 64- bit retail and not Windows 8.1 Pro or any other version out there."

EDIT

And to answer your previous post regarding...

A reviewer on Amazon said the following:

"No secondary HDD or msata. There is a slot for 'SSD' underneath, but it is a 'half size' msata slot and is very hard to get to."

TechEnthusiast88

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

I shall, and if it turns out that I must buy another one, all together I'll need to get the laptop ($1,099), the SSD ($259), and the OS ($120). Total is $1,478.

Could you please tell me whether I need to do anything or buy anything else? I'm truly grateful for all your help, and I've learned so much from our interaction.

Eli Little

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
I am so sorry that I haven't responded yet, had to take the ACT and build an architectural model for my Engineering class. Can you get me caught up on what is happening MasterDell?

TechEnthusiast88

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

Hey, MasterDell. It's been almost two years since I bought the ASUS you recommended. Overall, it's performed well, but I can't say that I'm impressed with the company's customer support. The battery died on me twice while under warranty. I sent it in for repairs, but it seems as if the technicians lack the ability to fix anything on the first try (not to mention it took almost a month to fix something as minor as a battery). Thankfully I refused the representative's request to send in my whole laptop. So instead of trying a third time to get a workable battery, I switched brands—permanently.

I recently bought the New Razer Blade for around $2,100 (excluding tax). What do you think about it?

I hope all is well.

The New Razer Blade (and any Razer Blade) is a exceptional laptop. Very good choice you made. I am aware now a year later that Asus has garbage customer support as I too had to deal with them. Sorry for the delayed response. I hope you have been having a good summer! Enjoy the new laptop!! :)

Cheers