Nov 12, 2023
So I made a list of all the parts I was going to buy but I'm not sure if I made the right choices or if there are better options to swap to. I will be using the PC for Gaming and general tasks and I'm planning to buy all the parts either today or I could wait for next week if its better for me. This is my first PC build and I am open to all suggestions.

Budget: 2400-2500 (can go a bit over if needed) Monitor budget: 200-270

I would prefer to have a Nvidia GPU and a Intel CPU.

Questions:
1. Should I go for a different case that comes with fans? (if so what case)
2. Do I need to fill every fan spot with a fan to maximize performance or will I get the same or even more performance without putting a fan in every spot.
3. Is it better to side mount the AIO as intake instead of mounting the AIO on the top for exhaust?
4. Is there a better but not that much more expensive AIO that I should get instead?
5. Should I even go for a AIO or is there a Air cooler that performs better than the AIO?
6. Are the case fans good or are there better case fans that I should get? (preferably case fans that are ARGB and won't break the bank so around $60 or for a 3 pack)

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fp6rcH
(I kept getting flagged when I tried listing all the parts individually under the PCPartPicker link for some reason)

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
A Thermalright AIO will be half that cost and work just as well. Side vs top mount, intake vs exhaust for the AIO is about tradeoffs. I'd personally top mount it first, exhaust, because having everything above the pump block is easiest on the pump (air in the lines will always stay above it) and most games benefit more from low GPU temps and prioritizing GPU boost clocks, which means feeding the GPU the coolest air is best. If you find the CPU runs too hot you can switch to side mount intake for the AIO, so it gets cooler air.

Lian Li makes great cases. If you like it and can afford it, they're a great option. If you need $75 or so to spend elsewhere in the build there are less expensive options that will perform just as well, but may not be built quite as nicely.

You don't need to fill every fan slot, but having a couple spares is never a bad thing.

Reactions: jake man
Nov 12, 2023
Another question, I heard some bad things about the 12VHPWR cables with high end 40 series GPUs about how they would melt. But apparently they fixed the problem a while back? Would I still need a 12VHPWR cable from CableMod or am I safe with the 12VHPWR that comes with my PSU?

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Another question, I heard some bad things about the 12VHPWR cables with high end 40 series GPUs about how they would melt. But apparently they fixed the problem a while back? Would I still need a 12VHPWR cable from CableMod or am I safe with the 12VHPWR that comes with my PSU?
The one that comes with your PSU will be fine, and that issue is largely limited to the 4090, which pulls a lot more power than a 4080.

Unless you have good reason to build right now I would wait for the Super cards to launch, as current rumors have the 4080 Super as around 10% faster than the current 4080 for $1000

Reactions: jake man
Nov 12, 2023
The one that comes with your PSU will be fine, and that issue is largely limited to the 4090, which pulls a lot more power than a 4080.

Unless you have good reason to build right now I would wait for the Super cards to launch, as current rumors have the 4080 Super as around 10% faster than the current 4080 for $1000
Alright I will take the cable off the list then. Also knowing Nvidia if there is a faster 4080 I highly doubt it would be the same or lower price than the current 4080 so instead of waiting 2-3 months to spend $1100-1200+ for a Super I would prefer to just buy a 4080 now for $1059, even though I might be losing on 10% performance the 4080 is still one of the best GPUs out there right now so I'm willing to sacrifice the 10%.

Reactions: kira-faye