News First PCIe 5.0 M.2 SSDs Are Now Available, Predictably Expensive

pointa2b

Prominent
Dec 22, 2022
Rather than increasing storage size they're just making them faster with little real world difference. Good luck with that...

I'm sure its a considerable market to sell hardware to people chasing one number/metric without knowing how it affects their actual use case. Not saying its right, just the way things are. The conversations that happen at places like this aren't an accurate representation of the average consumer.

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
The gen 5 SSDs were so over-hyped and they are at least 6 months late. I won't buy any until the price drops. They will only be a minor improvement in speed for most uses unless you are transferring large or a lot of files at once.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
The large heatsinks are mainly for people that don't have heatsinks that ship with motherboards. Everyone is trying to make coolers for early adapters and that mainly covers people that need to use the performance available for long periods of time without thermal throttling. The motherboard heatsinks were designed very well and they are much smaller than the aftermarket and included (with drive) designs in most cases.

The big difference between the previous generation and the new generation really comes down to workloads. Everyone is hating on these heatsinks and saying Gen5 runs hotter but it doesn't. The M.2 power limits are the same, the lithography node is the same, but the workloads have changed. There hasn't been a reasonable way for you guys to run a DirectStorage game for a few hours. The DirectStorage workload is more like an enterprise workload than what we had before on the consumer side. Before, we would burst data and then the drive would go back to sleep or move to a lower power state. With DirectStorage, the workload will request data from the drive at several gigabytes per second and for as long as you play. That can be several hours!

To avoid throttling in this workload, you need a larger heatsink and that is true for Gen5, Gen4 and even Gen3 drives. Just because you are not worried about DirectStorage now doesn't mean we will ignore it. If we ignored it then people would complain when they played a DirectStorage game later on. This is one of those things where we just need to say, "Trust us, we know what we are doing and why we are doing it."

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Forspoken didn't take advantage of GDeflate. In my personal opinion, they used just enough DS features to call it a DS game, but that is just my personal opinion as someone that has never built a game before. You really can't say you played a full feature DS game yet.

As far as the heatsinks not being compatible with GPU, that is also false. Gen5 boards moved to primary M.2 slot above the GPU. For the M.2 slots under the GPU, the motherboard makers have made those heatsinks either extra wide or extra long. As long as you have decent air movement coming into the case, those heatsinks are more than adequate.

Jaxstarke9977

Reputable
Nov 8, 2020
Sheesh. I've been waiting for PCIe 5.0 drives to be released before I completely finish up another build but at those prices I might just buy a new 4.0 and call it a day.

Reactions: atomicWAR
Feb 13, 2023
It's nice to see that this tech is moving along, although it seems like it will be another cycle before it makes sense for anyone other than enthusiast early adopters.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
For most people, upgrading from PCIE 3.0 to 4.0 SSDs actually don't result in any meaningful improvement, if any at all, to the responsiveness of their systems. Some who transfers a lot of big files will reap the benefit, but for most, it is just through some benchmarks that they can identify the improvement in sequential transfer rates. Even with Direct Storage, I don't see meaningful improvement between PCI-E 3.0 and 4.0 SSDs. Moving from PCI-E 4.0 to 5.0, the trend is just going to persist for most PC users. The only difference is that physically, you will see a bigger heatsink or an active heatsink to keep the SSD cool.

Too expensive and run to hot and first gen 5.0 controllers no thanks. By the time i'm ready to move up to AM5 they should have better drives out so sticking to PCIe 4.0 for now.
Same here. In my relatively new AM5 system, I have my Windows drive on a Gen4 M.2 in the second lowest slot – with the intent of transferring that to a nice and stable Gen5 M.2 in the uppermost slot that's reserved exclusively for Gen5 connectivity, using the Gen4 M.2 for extra storage.

Reactions: Makaveli