First Public Demos Of Final Oculus Rift HMD Happening At PAX

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch311

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Them headphones are bound to be low quality. It will nice if they sell a cheaper sku without the headphones and XBOne controller. If one already has better headphones and a controller, then it may not be necessary to get a second of each

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Ugh the Xbox controller. So uncomfortable if you don't use it constantly.

better ergonomics than most controllers because it's meant for virtually any size hand.. the Playstation controllers are all made for smaller hands (Japanese tend to have small hands).

it's much better than oculus's first party controller as well.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

i want the original xbox controller size, very comfortable in my hands
as for xbox or playstation, i have never had a playstation controller i had to take apart and sand down the joystick area because if you define a range of movement as 1-100 the controller needed a dead zone of 25 to not move and had an upper limit of range of 95... xbox controllers are such pieces of crap. to make it even better, microsoft told me to pound sand when i went in for a warranty replacement with lead to me taking the thing apart and sanding it.

are those headphones?
please whatever god there is tell me those are for the event or removeable and they add next to nothing to the cost...
They are removable. Tom's includes a paragraph on it in their response to the unveil of the consumer version.

the final Rift has headphones attached to the sides to provide immersive audio to match the immersive visuals. If you wish to use better headphones, you can; the attached ones are easily removable. (Cue headphone vendors scrambling to work up marketing materials that say, "Optimized for Oculus Rift!")
Source

DonGateley

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

Yes they are and yes they are removable. High quality 'phones no longer need be expensive with the huge advances in magnetic and diaphragm materials is recent time. There is also going to be plenty of audio digital signal processing in the thing so they can make them sound like anything they fancy. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss them.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

i have yet to hear small headphones that had any kind of sound come out of them that was good
but that's not the issue, i would never use that style of headphone because on ear headphones are the most uncomfortable thing i have ever used in my life, there is a reason i only buy over the ear headphones.

and as for cost, in headphones you hit a wall at about 500$ where you no longer see a quality gain that's proportional to the money you spend, in that vein 150-250 is where you get the most for your money quality wise.

the most recent time i had headphones that were on the ear, they were 80$ from sennheiser and i thought they were absolute crap... i am going to sincerely doubt that the headphones on the rift are as good as those, for cheaper that that, and is why if those add to the price i see it as a reason not to get the rift.

piklar

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Let's hope Oculus gets onto these sweet 5.7" 2160p panels that Samsung , Panasonic are starting to churn out.. who wants to see pixels in VR?

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
@alidan :
I know you said you hate on-ear products, but I would be very curious as what you would say about the sound quality of Grado SR80i (MSRP $99) or SR60 (MSRP $79).
I have the SR80i and for the money they sound better than any headphone I've had a chance to try out for any extended time. Comfort-wise, they are pretty good, sometimes at work I forget to take them off when I stop the music. They are open, but because they sound so good and detailed, I find myself enjoying my music even at very low volumes, and at low to medium volume, my colleagues at cubicle central can't hear them (or so they claim). Grado basically convinced me I don't need hundreds of dollars for great sounding headphones.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
Let's hope Oculus gets onto these sweet 5.7" 2160p panels that Samsung , Panasonic are starting to churn out.. who wants to see pixels in VR?

Oculus will run at 2160 x 1200 @ 90 fps which pushes the recommended GTX 970/ AMD 290 to their limits.. Maybe in a couple years we get 4K @ 90 fps. That's still a long way from 8K which Palmer Luckey says eliminates pixelation. And it's a very, very, VERY long way from 16K which AMD says is needed for a "full presence" FOV. Fyi that's 13X the GPU power so I'd say 2030-2050 for that unless we all get quantum computers.

Jagwired

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
I'm done with Oculus. They waited too long to release. Now there are too many other options. They're also making a mistake by including the Xbox controller. I already have Xbox controllers, I don't need another one. It only increases the price. I know they wanted to standardize the controller, but it would have been better to include their own. Their own controller seems better suited for VR anyway. I'd rather pay a more to get a new controller that's better for VR than another Xbox controller.

The only VR headset I'm excited about now is Morpheus since the hardware and platform will be standardized and I expect the games to for it to be better tailored for VR. I expect a lot of PC game makers to tack on Oculus support as an after thought. Also, the PS Move seems awesome for VR.

I also realized I don't want more PC peripherals and I don't want VR in my computer room. I already have a ton of wires attached to my desktop and my computer room is small. My living room and TV area is better suited for adding additional hardware and using VR.

Until this is out, reviewed and tested, im waiting.
There are two big contenders now (oculus and steam VR), and Id rather buy just one of them.
The games for these devices are not particularly good looking for now anyway.

*You need to have a mobile device and download an app to get a demo? So... no high end PC demos I assume. If thats the case, and this oculus is mobile oriented, im looking at steam VR rather than oculus.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
*You need to have a mobile device and download an app to get a demo? So... no high end PC demos I assume. If thats the case, and this oculus is mobile oriented, im looking at steam VR rather than oculus.
\

You misunderstand, my friend. They want you to use a mobile app to *schedule* a demo. Tech events commonly have a special app attached to them. This is a way to get people to download the app and also reserve a demo time.

Rift is not a mobile experience.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

lets see here, a long time ago i had 20$ sony on the ear that got me by, a 80$ philips noise canceling that were pretty ok for the price, some absolute crap that was 5$ for 3 on and in ear crap i got as a gift from my than 6 year old brother, really nice and i used them because they were the only thing i had for an extended period of time, but they were horrible quality wise, the origional gameboy ear buds, which i still say where some of the best for just the fact they were free with gameboy.

than there was a razor headset my brother used, a turtlebeach, my hd 555's my hd 598 my brothers akg 2XX and a slightly higher quality closed headphone version of that.

of all the headphones, the akg 2XX thats open (they aren't mine so i may be getting the number wrong) are about as good as my 555 or 598, the closed headphones are easily better than my 598, but that could be the difference between him having a headphone amp/dac and me using a logitech z5500

barring shoddy construction, headphones can last decades and is the reason i'm willing to put out for more expensive ones, as for the gradios you have, i was trying to look up the size of the speaker, but i cant find it, but what i did find was they were the best for the price range, if i didn't prefer large headphones i would probably get those, kind of the reason i went sennheiser over akg, akg doesn't fit around my ears well, the sennheiser does.

but in the context of this product, which at one point was billing itself as 280-300$ they are not going to add in headphones that are 1/3 or more the price of the unit itself without also raising the price significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS