First Shots of AMD Llano, Socket FM1 in the Wild

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]Dude, they've been doing that for years, now. Disassemble your laptop, you'll find a socket inside, very ease to replace the CPU. Unless it is an Atom, I think those are soldered, not sure.[/citation]

You are correct.

G

Llano currently is targeted for the same market as Athlon II. Bulldozer will be targeted for the market of Phenom II. So Llano is practically an Athlon II with some Gpu included in on the same die, and shrunk to 32 nm. This will be great for budget systems (also included is a technology similar to Hybrid-X-Fire), htpcs etc. Power users should wait for Bulldozer.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
If these were to dominate SNB, one would think AMD would be letting all kinds of performance numbers out in advance. Truth be told, 160-400 streaming processors, that's barely what the low end discrete GPUs contain. We have seen SNB at par with low-end discrete GPUs. This simply is AMD having an "APU" part for the marketing guys.

ezodagrom

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
@BSMonitor: The Sandy Bridge HD3000 barely matches the 80 SPs Radeon HD5450, 400 SPs, that's what the Radeon HD5670 has. That doesn't sound bad at all for an integrated GPU.

Can't wait for Chris to try overclocking one of these ... surely your going to give crashman some liquid nitrogen and a few hours in the lab?

The chips are cheap ... let him fry a few of them in the name of Nicoli Tesla !!

/goggles on ...

f-14

Distinguished
doh wrong article for the first post. damn intel lag, lol j/k idkwtfh
2.4ghz@.4v with 1meg of cache and this is the apu wiping sandy's left and right?@#$ the screenshot isn't even of him doing anything, i'd like to see a video with the auto-ramping.
i need to be the guy writing the marketing commercial, i've already got the way to work homer's "DOH!" into it!
so this rolls out in time for bck to school shopping, when laptops are sold the 2nd most, which is right before the #1 most which is x-mas shopping!
omg AMD is making this so easy! im not even a marketing genius and i have a commercial idea that wrote itself & will wipe the floor with intels after using it as a doormat! oh and i didn't even forget i can take a swipe at knocking apples off left and right from their tree!

[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]Dude, they've been doing that for years, now. Disassemble your laptop, you'll find a socket inside, very ease to replace the CPU. Unless it is an Atom, I think those are soldered, not sure.[/citation]

thats true but the mobos in them are not as flexible on CPU support as desktop ones. plus its easier to take apart a laptop then it is putting it back together

G

AMD is crap. Only for cheap comps (office and msn) if u rea going to game u must use Intel. The same for gpus, AMD gpus have problems with all new games (Rage, BBC2......) get an Nvidia. Everything comming from AMD is crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.