[SOLVED] First SSD purchase - Samsung 860 Evo vs Pro

ankydu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I have a 8 yrs old system with the following configuration :

Processor: Intel Core i7 3930k (Hexa Core @3.2Ghz)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro
RAM: 16 Gb (4x4gb) Gskills Z series DDR3
Gfx Card: Zotac Gtx 1660 Super amp edition
PSU: Corsair TX750 750watt
Cabinet: Coolermaster HAF X
Hdd: 1tb WD Black, 500gb WD Green
Monitor: Dell 2707 WFP 1920x1200

I am looking to add ssd storage to my system. Due to my old motherboard I am stuck at sata interface SSDs only. I have shortlisted the following:

1. Samsung 860 pro 512gb (512mb DDR4 ram) - $178 USD
  2. Samsung 860 Evo 1 tb (1gb DDR4 ram) - $158 USD
  3. Crucial MX500 1tb - $130 USD

My main concerns are speed and longevity as I do not easily upgrade my system unless something fails.
Please advise?

Solution
Just 1 last question, can I install the nvme or pci drives in my existing system with some converter/accessory for an even faster performance? If yes then which one should I get?
Yes, but....

I actually have a config like that in my system (parts list below).
The 1TB Intel 660p lives in a PCIe adapter.

In my typical use case with Adobe Lightroom, Painsthop Pro, and Rhino3d :)...I see zero difference writing to the 660p vs any of the Samsung SATA III drives.
Not just 'feeling' the same. Timed and tested the same. Even though the Intel benchmarks 3x the speed of the SATA III drives.

For instance...5 files in Lightroom, all with multiple edits/changes...writing those out to the Intel is the same exact time as is writing...

ankydu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
The EVO or the MX500 is just fine. No need for the Pro.

I have several Samsungs in my system, a couple 840 EVO going back to Dec 2014. Still run like brand new.
I'd go MX500 because in real-world use, there is almost no difference between it and the Samsung 860 EVO and it is cheaper.

I was reading that in tlc SSDs there is limited slc cache, so when transferring large file, if the cache fills up they slow down badly, no such issue with mlc drives.

USAFRet

Titan
Just 1 last question, can I install the nvme or pci drives in my existing system with some converter/accessory for an even faster performance? If yes then which one should I get?
Yes, but....

In my typical use case with Adobe Lightroom, Painsthop Pro, and Rhino3d :)...I see zero difference writing to the 660p vs any of the Samsung SATA III drives.
Not just 'feeling' the same. Timed and tested the same. Even though the Intel benchmarks 3x the speed of the SATA III drives.

For instance...5 files in Lightroom, all with multiple edits/changes...writing those out to the Intel is the same exact time as is writing them out to the Samsungs. Even the 5 year old 840 EVOs.
And of course, a full reboot inbetween each test, so to alleviate any cache issues.

There are multiple other things going on besides the raw speed of the drive.

Solution

ankydu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Yes, but....

For instance...5 files in Lightroom, all with multiple edits/changes...writing those out to the Intel is the same exact time as is writing them out to the Samsungs. Even the 5 year old 840 EVOs.
And of course, a full reboot inbetween each test, so to alleviate any cache issues.

There are multiple other things going on besides the raw speed of the drive.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will get the 860 Evo then.