First Time Build Pointers/Final Opinions on my build!

infamousk12

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Hi Everyone,

So, I'm ready to pull the trigger with this build (see link), I just need that little extra push since I'm a first time builder. I have seen manyyyy videos on how-to's, guides, and walkthroughs from a variety of different YouTubers. I've also read many forums and done enough homework on the different aspects to building a pc. I just want some last minute thoughts, and maybe pointers for a first timer? Please don't respond by telling me "you could save 100's of dollars if you did this". I just need to know if these components are good fits and won't cause any unforeseen issues.

Thank you so much. (btw, the only part that may change is the SSD, I may go with a 850 Pro instead)
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zy8Hhq

Solution
pretty high end stuff. looks all fine to me. may i ask you
1) what is your overall budget?
2) what is the purpose of your build? gaming, work, video editing, enthusiast all-around, programmer, student, designer, ...?
3) are you looking at strictly performance or bang for the buck?

some of my personal gripes:
1) I think pcie ssd's are a bit overpriced for its current price-to-performance. if you want a sata ssd, you could probably add more capacity for the money.
2) having a 1TB storage drive is a bit limited. i recommend at least 2TB or more.
3) you have a windowed case. do plan on getting led lights for aesthetics?

overall, really high end. you can't really criticize anything but the whopping price tag. but holy moly that's what i...
That's an awesome build for the money. Don't bother with the 950 Pro, though. Won't work with that motherboard and and really, unless you regularly work with large files, you wouldn't see much of a difference compared to a SATA drive anyway.

infamousk12

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Sorry!! I meant 850 Pro, sorry for the confusion, yah the M.2 is not for this build.

bboiprfsr

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
pretty high end stuff. looks all fine to me. may i ask you
1) what is your overall budget?
2) what is the purpose of your build? gaming, work, video editing, enthusiast all-around, programmer, student, designer, ...?
3) are you looking at strictly performance or bang for the buck?

some of my personal gripes:
1) I think pcie ssd's are a bit overpriced for its current price-to-performance. if you want a sata ssd, you could probably add more capacity for the money.
2) having a 1TB storage drive is a bit limited. i recommend at least 2TB or more.
3) you have a windowed case. do plan on getting led lights for aesthetics?

overall, really high end. you can't really criticize anything but the whopping price tag. but holy moly that's what i call a dream rig

Solution

infamousk12

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Hey,
I don't really have a budget. I know I could go easily higher with an X99 board 6800k..etc but I'm not interested.

My overall purpose is mixed. Mostly gaming, productivity, other things..not a developer or a designer that will be using high tasking software.

Yes i also agree the PCI ssd is probably overkill. Plus I'm interested in added another GPU later so it might be better to have the SATA III.
I will consider the 2 TB WD, and yes I'd like to have an LED strip or two.

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

Really nice build, not to be annoying but you could get 100GB more with the Samsung M.2 950 SSD for a bit cheaper.

This would be the things I would change on your build: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/YsDV6X

The Noctua performs better than the H100i and its much cheaper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMl7iEzpzsA
just jump to the end. After that it´s all about your taste, I like Noctua a lot.

and you could get as well a cheaper motherboard doing exactly the same functions :/

Edit: And if you still choose to go with the H100i get some Noctua fans and toast those trash stocks fans, out of the box they will reach 50dB at full load, I don´t know for you but I can´t support it :lol: http://noctua.at/en/which_fan_is_right_for_me

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

HAhahaha I didn´t notice but now that you said you right :D he could get some cheap corsairs stickers and glue every where would make the same magic :lol:

infamousk12

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Thanks for the reply! I think I would stay with either the PCI or just a Sata III, the m.2 wont work unless i change the MOBO, and I'm not super intested in doing that.
Additionally, I can't stand air coolers. I think they look terrible and ugly. And yes, i've heard the stock fans are horrid, I would definetly change the fans.

I really like the new Corsair ML series.

TRENDING THREADS