Question First time builder - any advice/suggestions welcomed!

Aug 21, 2024
Hi Guys, I just want to thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions - apologies if I get anything incorrect. I will shortly be starting my adventure of PC building and I know relatively little when it comes to the deeper technical sides of computer components. So far I've been quite indecisive when picking components and I'm itching to get started, hence why I'm asking for help! My budget can stretch a little bit but I'd rather not start upgrading CPU's/GPU's unless you really advise against this combo!

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600X - £187

CPU Cooler: ID-Cooling FROZN A410 Black, something along these lines or similar - £26

GPU: RX 7700 XT, varied prices on Amazon at the moment, but will be opting for the best priced 3 fan variant - Approx £380-400

Motherboard: Gigabyte Gigabyte B650M D3HP AX, main reason for this option is due to it supporting WiFi as a backup - £110

RAM: ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL30, don't overly care for RGB, this will be one of the few in my set up - £88

SSD: ADATA 1TB Legend 900 M.2 NVMe Gen4 - £52

PSU: Be Quiet! 750W Pure Power 12 M, Fully Modular, 80+ Gold - £94

Total: Approx £950 (minus case & case fans), would rather not stretch too much unless it will make a big difference in performance or future proofing!

Case is to be confirmed, it's going to be something relatively plain, at this point I'm not interested in a load of RGB fans or anything, just nice clean aesthetics. Again, thank you for any advice or recommendations - really appreciate the help! Also, if I'm missing anything please let me know :)

Your parts are reasonable.
My thoughts:

1) Is the ram kit you selected explicitly supported on the ram QVL list for your motherboard/cpu combo?
Or, by the Adata ram selection app?
If there is a pervasive cause for issues with ryzen it is ram compatibility.

2) A m.2 device will usually be mounted under the graphics card and not easy to change.
Consider buying a 2tb m.2 up front.

3) Pick a case you love. Bust your budget for a good one. It will be with you for a long time.

For a first time builder:

MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a long #2 magnetic tip philips screwdriver.
A small led flashlight is also useful.

I find it handy to buy a power switch like this for testing.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168121..._switch-_-12-119-009-_-Product&quicklink=true
1. I assemble the critical parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functionality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter if you have one, otherwise to the graphics card.
3. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins with a flat blade screwdriver.
4. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
5. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86 on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.

Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.
Opinions vary on updating the bios.
Normally, one does not update a bios unless there is a fix for something that is impacting you. I violate this rule on a new build and will update to currency up front.
Use the usb option, not the windows option.
If there is a severe problem, the impact is small.

6. Install windows.
7. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
7. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft defender is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
8. Install your graphics card and driver if you tested with integrated graphics.
You will need to remove the graphics card later to install your motherboard in the case.
As a tip when screwing the motherboard into the posts, give the screw a small counterclockwise turn until you feel a click.
That lets you know that the screw will engage properly.
Make a note of how the graphics card latches into the pcie slot.
The mechanism will be hidden under the card and may be difficult to work if you have not previously checked how.
9. Update windows to currency.
10. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.
11. Now is the time to reinstall your graphics card.