First time builder, how do I best connect my GPU to the PSU?

Saul Goodman

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Hi, can someone please explain how I should properly connect my card to the PSU? I have a XFX Double Dissipation r9 290, and a SeaSonic SSR-650RM PSU

The card included 1 6-pin to 4-pin power cable, and 1 8-pin to 6-pin power cable. I think everything was included in the PSU.

I've read that if these cards are not corrected properly, there will be black screens. I apologize for being such a noob, but the instructions included were quite poor and I've never built before.

Thanks

Solution
Being semi modular, the permanent cables will contain the actual connectors to power a motherboard, that being the 20+4, 4+4 aux cpu, 8 eps etc. The pcie cables are additional and most 650w and larger will include at least 2x6pin and 2x6+2pin and these are what's needed for a gpu. The connectors supplied with a gpu are for low grade psus that do not have the right pcie connectors, so adapters are necessary. Don't use them. The Seasonic is a high quality unit and in the supplied bag will be the connectors you need. They will plug directly from the psu slots labeled pcie to the gpu.
Better Call Toms!
Anyways, the card has 1 6 pin and one 8 pin connector.
Your PSU will have PCI-Express power cables, which are 6+2 pin, plug one of them to the 8 pin connector on the card, and the 6 pin part of another on the 6 pin of the card. Plug the other ends where it says PCI-E on the PSU.

Saul Goodman

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I think I understand, but my PSU has 1 long cable coming out of it, that splits of into 2 6+2 PCI-e cables. It that what I plug into the GPU?

Because my PSU is semi-modular, and also has a detachable PCI-E cable the plugs into the back with 2 6+8 pin connectors

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Being semi modular, the permanent cables will contain the actual connectors to power a motherboard, that being the 20+4, 4+4 aux cpu, 8 eps etc. The pcie cables are additional and most 650w and larger will include at least 2x6pin and 2x6+2pin and these are what's needed for a gpu. The connectors supplied with a gpu are for low grade psus that do not have the right pcie connectors, so adapters are necessary. Don't use them. The Seasonic is a high quality unit and in the supplied bag will be the connectors you need. They will plug directly from the psu slots labeled pcie to the gpu.

Solution