First time building in awhile - $1400

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sotu

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hi everyone!

I am a programmer, graphic designer, and music producer. As such I use Visual Studio 2010 extensively, Adobe CS5 suite, and Ableton for music production. This is about the extent of my abilities on a PC and I dont game at all.

That being said, I could really use some help with a my new PC build. I need a solid intel based PC in the 1400 range (I could go up a bit if necessary)

I was thinking i5-2500k with matching p67 mobo and whatever graphics card is hot right now?

Does anyone have a build that sounds like a good match for me and can just send over all the parts here :) I will be purchasing this week but I could wait if there was a reason to.

Thanks!

Solution

It all looks good! It should be a system that will hold up well, and serve all of your needs.
I will suggest you hold off on the SSD for a little bit, as OCZ is releasing a new generation, which has much higher speeds. http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/ocz-unveils-agility-3-and-solid-3-ssds-for-thrifty-speedsters/ You can pick up one of the new ones which are much faster, or grab the 2nd gen ones when the price drops.

I also would pay attention to the fact that you are paying around $20 on the monitors for speakers. I would suggest getting monitors without speakers and using that...

gto930

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
as striker said earlier, it may be worth it to wait a bit and see how AMD's bulldozer zambezi cpus are like

if early reports are true, their octacore can stand up to intels 990x. i would guess their hexacore would be in the 2600k's price range with comparable performance.

if this is the case, considering the workload u have in mind (production instead of gaming), i would guess a hexacore would be better because u can probably make good use of the additional (physical) cores. 6 cores VS. 4cores+HyperThreading....i dunno, but if Nothing else, this may force intel to drop prices...possibly?

oh and the extra money is def. worth it for the IPS monitor. if u didnt want to spend a ton extra for 2 IPS, u could get 1 and use it strictly for graphics, and use a cheaper TFT 2nd monitor for everything else. interestingly, my photographer friend tells me that even with IPS monitors, they regularly replace them since they lose effectiveness after a yr or 2 (all lcd's in general). and they color calibrate every few weeks. BUT i'm sure none of us are that hardcore....i'm not about to throw out the 4 yr old lcd that i have. my Non-Professional-Photographer eyes dont notice a difference.

sotu

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
sorry to bring back a solved topic but question, should i looking at this video card instead of the gtx 570?

SAPPHIRE 100312SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity