Question First time building pc (CAE and gaming).

Sep 26, 2024
First time building pc (CAE and gaming)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X OEM
RAM: 64Gb DDR5 6000MHz Kingston Fury Renegade (2x32Gb KIT)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Super Gigabyte WindForce OC 12Gb
Mother: ASUS TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI
SSD: 1Tb Samsung 990 EVO
Power: 750W Chieftec Polaris
Cooler: Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer III 240
Case: Zalman Z10 Duo White

I never used processor overclocking and have no idea how heat flow rises in this regime. So the main question, is this cooling system enough for overclocked cpu? And is the airflow inside this case (miditower) volume sufficient for effective convection?
(As for memory, I am planning to buy second kit (32gbx2) later)
The second question: is 750W enough when you overclock cpu in this build?

KingLoki

Great
Jul 10, 2024
You need to check cpu temps under stress, especially necessary when overclocking.
You can download reliable software to do that...
CPU-z for the benchmark/stress test
HWMonitor to see the fans and there speeds, also you can see the temps for cpu temps both at idle and during stress test. Good starting point. Post results to let us know after completing pls. Cheers

The heat from overclocking is dependant on how high you overclock and also applying extra voltage if needed creates extra heat. Ryzen's generally don't run too hot when oc'd, as long as it's not over the top. There is good oc software out there to monitor things and the rule is go slow, steady and test !
750w PS should be fine.

Last edited:
First time building pc (CAE and gaming)
What is CAE? Did you mean CAD ?
I never used processor overclocking and have no idea how heat flow rises in this regime.
If you have never done OC, then you probably should stay away from it.
It's not the "magic pill", you're expecting.
So the main question, is this cooling system enough for overclocked cpu?
And is the airflow inside this case (miditower) volume sufficient for effective convection?
PC case is good. 240mm AIO is adequate.
(As for memory, I am planning to buy second kit (32gbx2) later)
Buy 4 module memory kit at the beginning. You'll avoid possible memory compatibility issues later.
700W is recommended minimum for your system.
If you really want to delve into OC, then get a higher wattage PSU. 850W or 1000W.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
So the main question, is this cooling system enough for overclocked cpu?
The 7950X will boost until it hits 95C under really heavy loads, regardless of whether it's overclocked with PBO or not. Water cooling will eke out a few more Watts of dissipation (and MHz of speed) over most air coolers, before the CPU starts to thermally throttle at 95C.

I'm running my 7950X under a Noctua NH-D15 with no overclock. In some video rendering apps (Topaz) or Handbrake transcoding, the CPU hits 95°C and stays there for hours/days on end.

My RTX 3060 often ramps up towards its maximum temperature of 93°C with OpenGL/CL work, so I set a GPU power limit in AMD Afterburner of 95%, dropping the 3060 dissipation by 10W.

I'm more interested in overall stability than extracting the last ounce of performance from CPU and GPU overclocks. The last thing I want is a computer lock up, part way through a 36-hour render.

For the time being, leave off overclocking and see how the system performs with standard settings. As I've already mentioned, Handbrake is a good "real world" test of CPU performance. You could also try WinZip encoding. If you have any benchmark tests in your CAE/gaming apps, give them a try.

And is the airflow inside this case (miditower) volume sufficient for effective convection?
Your Zalman Z10 case is more than adequate for cooling the current hardware. You could switch off several fans and still not have any problems. I'm using an ancient LianLi case with two 120mm front intake fans cooling the hard disks, a 120mm and 80mm exhaust on the back, plus the PSU fan. It might benefit from extra cooling, but I like the case for its stealth qualities and low noise.

If you switch from an RTX 4070 (200W) to an RTX 4090 (450W) and overclock the 7950X to the hilt, you'll experience higher temperatures inside the case, but the CPU and GPU will thermally throttle if they get too hot.

It all depends on how hard you overclock. More PSU headroom might be nice but you probably have enough.

This review rates the Chieftec Polaris slightly lower than the Corsair RM750X. I can't remember if I've got an RM750X or RM850X in my 7950X rig, because I built it in 2023.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/chieftec-polaris-psu-750-w/

In my system, 7950X, RTX 3060 12GB, five hard disks, three M.2 drives, 64GB RAM, no overclock, I see 350W (average, not peak) on a KillaWatt power meter during video renders. I'd expect up to 400W on my system during combined CPU/GPU stress testing. A bit more with overclocking.