[SOLVED] First time building PC - help needed ? (AMD route)

Jul 9, 2019
Hi,
I'm building my first PC, so I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible. I tried to do this build but I have a lots of questions. Will you help me ?

About my build :
My aim is 100+hz gaming at 1080p under 1200 euro (1300 usd). Aside from some photo editing - gaming will by the main purpose of this PC.
I decided to go full AMD route as I want to use free sync monitor (as its cheaper) and with current GPU and CPU prices I don't feel like I should give my money to INTEL or NVIDIA :)
Only fancy "feature" is, that after many year of using laptops (with screaming fans) I want my PC to be reasonable quiet.

MyBuild - PCPartPicker
Type​
Item​
Price​
CPU
€210​
CPU Cooler
€28​
Motherboard
€102​
Memory
€102​
Storage
€115​
Video Card
€240​
Power Supply
€80​
Monitor
€170​
Case
€170​
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total
€1094
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-08 23:35 CEST+0200​

Questions :
1) does this build makes sense ? Is there any obvious bottleneck which I completely missed ?
I picked 3600 as it seems to be sufficient for any gaming needs. I went with B450 TOMAHAWK as it has bios usb flashback feature.

2) Will SilentiumPC - Fera 3 make CPU quieter compared to stock cooler ? Will there be any measurable difference ?
I want to keep my CPU cool and ideally passive cooled most of time. (another reason to pick 65W CPU).

3) Can I rotate cooler by 90 degrees ? (fan blowing through heatsink to the top of the case) My case will have only front and top side unobstructed. So I was thinking about air direction from the front to the inside, from the back to the inside, from the inside to the top. I assume rotating cooler will help ? I picked https://www.silentiumpc.com/en/product/signum-sg1-tg/ case as it has 8 slots for fans.
I would like to make air flow this way ( View: https://imgur.com/a/YTVxl6H
). (I will probably pick some noctua fans next month as this case comes with only two of them. Any recommendation ? )
Is it ok ? Or Should I flip back fan ?

4) Is there any reason not to go for 3200 C16 RAM 2x8GB RAM ? This articlehttps://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/ is saying that barely a five percent performance gain to be had going from DDR4-2400 to DDR4-3600, so I picked some cheap memory in my budged. I could probably go for Patriot Viper4 Series 16GB KIT DDR4 3400Mhz CL16 as alternative to HyperX 16GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Predator Series or HyperX 16GB KIT DDR4 3333MHz CL16 Predator Series There is no price difference in my country for these RAMs.

5) is 500W enough for my build ? Is be quiet! - Pure Power 11 CM a good PSU? Is anywhere any info about how much laud if fan for which PSU ? I don't want it to be too loud, but in my case (accidental pun) PSU is at the bottom so I think case should reduce noise quite a bit.

6) I picked this monitor as cheap 1080p 144hz model with good reviews. Any other good known alternative ? I would like to pick 1440p but it seems little bit over my budged. If I went this way, can vega 56 keep up ? Which model would you recommend ?

Thank you for any help. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
I believe that the Crucial is slower on average, but when used for a boot drive on Windows, it actually performs better for Windows load time. I'm not 100% sure of this though. G-sync will be good if you can fit it into your budget, but otherwise just see if you can set the refresh rate to your average FPS.
  1. Yeah it makes sense but you will have to make sure newest BIOS is available and installed before Ryzen3 would work.
  2. Stock coolers are not bad and are pretty quiet, I'd suggest you try with it first.
  3. You have cooling a bit wrong, rear and top fans should be exhaust, With standard cooler it doesn't matter which way is turned but with a tower cooler it should blow to the top or back.
  4. Between 3200 and 3333MHz RAM you are not likely to see any difference in system performance. only lower Cas Latency in3200 would kinda equalize it.
  5. I would be happier with a 550 - 600/650W PSU for that setup.
  6. You maybe better off with a larger, up to 27" monitor, Vega 56 may be a bit under-powered for 144Hz

Jul 9, 2019
  1. thank you I'm aware of this.
  2. good point. I will try that.
  3. is ok to use rear fan as exhaust even if there is only 10 - 20cm free space behind case ?
  4. unfortunately low latency rams are expensive. They are like +50% price so in this case I will stick to C16 3200.
  5. ok I will take 600W PSU from the same firm.
  6. thank you. I will check my local store for 27'' 144Hz price.

thank you very much for your help.

Jul 9, 2019
This is extremely similar to my build. You have different ram but with same speed. Your storage is probably slightly more resilient (crucial TLC vs intel QLC) but it seems intel is significantly faster. The vega in your build is original with blower style fan ? I want it to be as quite as possible so I'm going for sapphire version.
PSU is probably interchangeable and your monitor was second choice.

Monitor is the biggest issue for me. Maybe I will pick 25" AOC G2590FX as this monitor should have even g-sync possible.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/1/7/18171631/nvidia-g-sync-support-freesync-monitors

I believe that the Crucial is slower on average, but when used for a boot drive on Windows, it actually performs better for Windows load time. I'm not 100% sure of this though. G-sync will be good if you can fit it into your budget, but otherwise just see if you can set the refresh rate to your average FPS.

Solution