[SOLVED] First time cpu overclocking. 3770k asrock extreme4 4.5ghz at fixed 1.275v 67*C average

realflow100

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
First time overclocking and this is what was suggested for me to try
3770k asrock extreme4 4.5ghz at fixed 1.275v voltage I settled at stable
LLC is at medium (gives me awesome temps at 4.5ghz too compared to auto or any other setting. still rock solid stable)

it seems rock solid stable. prime95 small fft all day long no errors. no bsods.
event viewer also not showing any errors or warnings

rock solid stable average temp around 60-69C (peak hottest core just barely reaches below 70C
it idles around normal temperatures like 29-35*C
CPU cooler is an SYY 18$ 5-heat pipe cpu cooler direct copper pipe contact technology cooler (very cheap but seems very effective too)
this is all good and stuff.

but 4.6ghz+ is impossible to be stable without insane voltage. 1.345v and still not stable! errors in event viewer. sometimes BSODS too.
my temp is fine still. not even 80C yet. but its still not stable. It just must be inherently unstable beyond 4.5 or something. like an unpassable wall
Tried increasing LLC to 75% no improvement

checked vrms heatsinks and temps. seems pretty cool to me. barely a couple degrees above ambient.

Last edited:
Solution
This the cooler you're working with;
https://www.amazon.com/SYY-Heatpipes-Premium-Hydraulic-Bearing/dp/B098JHS395
?

If so, then seems like another Vetroo V5 cooler.

FYI, if you're needing too much voltage to reach 4.6GHz best back off and stay at 4.5GHz since the long term results will be a damaged processor or motherboard or both. You might want to look into watercooling or a more beefy aircooler but then again that's all investments that won't bring you any positive ROI except for more heat dumped by the system. You should aim at keeping the airflow optimal in your chassis or at least have a fan aimed at the VRM's to aid with heat dissipation.

Lutfij

Titan
This the cooler you're working with;
https://www.amazon.com/SYY-Heatpipes-Premium-Hydraulic-Bearing/dp/B098JHS395
?

If so, then seems like another Vetroo V5 cooler.

FYI, if you're needing too much voltage to reach 4.6GHz best back off and stay at 4.5GHz since the long term results will be a damaged processor or motherboard or both. You might want to look into watercooling or a more beefy aircooler but then again that's all investments that won't bring you any positive ROI except for more heat dumped by the system. You should aim at keeping the airflow optimal in your chassis or at least have a fan aimed at the VRM's to aid with heat dissipation.

Reactions: realflow100
Solution

realflow100

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
Yes that cpu cooler in particular. thats the one im using
vrms are cool as a cucumber already. Cold to the touch. Not even much above ambient :D
Ram sticks are also running practically the same as ambient. maybe at most a couple degrees above.
everything seems to be running pretty cool so far at 4.5ghz. usually average under 70*C even with prime 95 small fft.
and in gaming it barely even goes above 50-60 degrees peak! even on games that use most of the cores.
Its a bit disappointing I can't even attempt past 4.6ghz as the cpu hits a wall pretty hard and doesnt want to increase at all past that. needing unsafe levels of voltage to be stable. not worth.
i doubt water cooling would even help. as im still not running out of temperature even with the higher voltage.
it stabilizes in temperature in 10 seconds or so. doesnt really go much above what it gets to almost immediately upon applying the load. few degrees at most.

Last edited: