Question First time installing motherboard , did I damage it

Jun 2, 2024
I decided to build a system and when I put the motherboard in the case I was kind of dragging/lightly scraping it on the bottom of the case trying to find the holes. Is this a super delicate item that would be damaged just by that?

Jun 2, 2024
It was just kind of hard to get everything aligned and get the motherboard attached io into the slot under the fan so I was scraping the bottom. I never pressed down on the motherboard, just dragged it for a few seconds over the risers

Last edited:
I decided to build a system and when I put the motherboard in the case I was kind of dragging/lightly scraping it on the bottom of the case trying to find the holes. Is this a super delicate item that would be damaged just by that?
So long as it posts you're good, the thing to really watch out for on a motherboard is the socket where you install the cpu, the rest of it is pretty resilient. I've seen boards with corrosion all over them, surface scuffs and scratches, broken corners, broken pcie slots, broken ram slots, ripped usb headers, and missing components that all still worked. Here is a 990FX board i picked up in a trade in the past with a nice bend (not the worst ive ever seen), it worked just fine.

View: https://imgur.com/slkpHwv

View: https://imgur.com/CL424lf

Jun 2, 2024
Unless you scraped it fairly deep damaging the wires runs under the outside then no biggie. If it works it works nothing else matters.
A picture would really help since were not looking at it.
It's installed already so I can't take a picture. No deep scratches. I should finish building it tomorrow. It's a 7800x3d so I'm excited. I'll know if it's damaged then because it won't start. Now I just have to figure out where all the psu wires go and install my cooler in the case. I wanted to have everything hooked up and ready to go before I installed the cooler to make sure it fits correctly in the mid tower micro atx case. Thermal assassin x 120 se is the cooler. Cpu is in the socket already.

Reactions: artk2219
Jun 2, 2024
So long as it posts you're good, the thing to really watch out for on a motherboard is the socket where you install the cpu, the rest of it is pretty resilient. I've seen boards with corrosion all over them, surface scuffs and scratches, broken corners, broken pcie slots, broken ram slots, ripped usb headers, and missing components that all still worked. Here is a 990FX board i picked up in a trade in the past with a nice bend (not the worst ive ever seen), it worked just fine.

View: https://imgur.com/slkpHwv

View: https://imgur.com/CL424lf
Good to hear. Cpu went in with no problems, but I never got the cover to pop up. lol I just took it off

Good to hear. Cpu went in with no problems, but I never got the cover to pop up. lol I just took it off
All good, sometimes they don't pop off on their own when you install a CPU. Also, it can take a solid 2 or 3 minutes for your computer to boot for the first time. So when you turn it on, dont freak out if nothing shows up for a few minutes. It's doing some configuration before the first boot.

Jun 2, 2024
All good, sometimes they don't pop off on their own when you install a CPU. Also, it can take a solid 2 or 3 minutes for your computer to boot for the first time. So when you turn it on, dont freak out if nothing shows up for a few minutes. It's doing some configuration before the first boot.
Ok. My exhaust fan that came with the case has 3 pins and is not pwm, meanwhile the one front panel case fan I bought is pwm. Does that matter? I have one front intake and one rear exhaust fan.

Jun 2, 2024
Not really, the pwn fan should be a little quieter, and have finer speed control. But it's not a huge difference between the two.

https://www.electronicshub.org/3-vs-4-pin-fans/#2_Noise
Ok thanks. I plugged my usb 3.0 plug backwards into the motherboard. I realized when I pressed on it firmly and it wouldn't go all the way in. I didn't see any broken pins. And it plugged in fine and firmly when I reversed it. I do notice a little movement of the plug if I pull up or down on it though. Connection is firm, but plug moves up and down vertically if I press on it. It always stays flush though to the motherboard Connection and the plug is really tight.

Disaster averted? This is so stressful.

Ok thanks. I plugged my usb 3.0 plug backwards into the motherboard. I realized when I pressed on it firmly and it wouldn't go all the way in. I didn't see any broken pins. And it plugged in fine and firmly when I reversed it. I do notice a little movement of the plug if I pull up or down on it though. Connection is firm, but plug moves up and down vertically if I press on it. It always stays flush though to the motherboard Connection and the plug is really tight.

Disaster averted? This is so stressful.
Hah, yes disaster averted, theres a chance you could have fried whatever you plugged into that header since the pins were reversed, but its more likely the system would have just disabled usb. Then you would be left wondering why the system is throwing a usb error, and why it isn't working. Either way, the USB 3.0 20 pin plug is a clumsy thing, it has a lousy retention system. Its possible it'll pop out on its own from vibrations over time, sometimes its possible to install it backwards and you may not notice, and its possible to rip the header out of the board if they make the tolerances too tight. Its not the best standard unfortunately, but its whats around for now.

Reactions: LizardPrim

TRENDING THREADS