First time PC build, Mini ITX

Moees36

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Since this is my first PC build I decided go just go ahead and do a corsair themed mini ITX build using the Corsair 250D. So basically this is what I am looking out of this PC:

1. Hacknitosh- I'm going to install hacknitosh and boot windows so those two programs will be on my ssd and i will dedicate 1TB of memory to each OS.

2. Video Editing- I will start a YouTube channgel so I want this PC to handle video editing without a problem.

3. Gaming - I will be playing all the next gen games on this pc like battlefield 4 and I want them to be played without a problem.

AND here is the build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($102.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Dominator 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($187.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($30.87 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS229H-P 21.5" Monitor ($147.58 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Corsair Vengeance 2100 7.1 Channel Headset ($127.21 @ Amazon)
Other: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Case ($99.99)
Total: $2091.29

The case is not listed on pcpartpicker but you know its going to be a Corsair250D Mini ITX case. With that being said my question is can this PC perform all the task that I have listed above. Also I want to know if I can fit that graphics card into the case. Thank you

Solution
Despite the names, the Xeon E3s are very similar to i7s but without internal graphics.
You can use a 4770 (or a 4770K really, as sometimes they are very similarly priced) but you can save anything up to around $50 by going for one of the Xeons.
With the exception of the K, none of these can be overclocked, so are fine in a B85 (or H87/H81) board.
If you do go for one of these, it's worth considering that the H100i is more or less $100 down the drain, and if you aren't running a H100i (or similar) then the Corsair 250D is just a big wide box.

Given the amount of money you are potentially spending, the overclocking variant is definitely worth consideration. How well it scales is dependant on the software you use, and the types of games...
The GPU might fit but it would literally kill you airflow as it's 292mm long and the case only supports GPUs up to 290mm long.

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N770_TF_2GD5OC.html#specification This one is only 260mm long so it should fit in without any problems.

Yes, this build will handle everything you want to do, but get a non-k version of the CPU as you can't overclock on that motherboard so it's a waste of money the get the k version. Also the CX series are not very good PSUs and you won't need 750 watts anyway.

Rammy

Honorable
You are on the right track, to the main part. It's hard to escape the fact that it's very expensive, but a lot of that cost is peripherals, which don't really count (as they are so subjective, everyone spends what they want/can).

If you want to overclock, you'll need a Z87 motherboard. Be aware that some Z87 motherboards position the CPU socket towards the RAM slots, and this can have a potential interference problem in this case when using an AIO like the H100i and an optical drive (The optical drive extends over the motherboard and doesn't give you much headroom in which to turn the pipes, it's something to keep in mind, but in most cases you should be able to work around it)

If you don't want to overclock, then the K-series processor is a bit pointless, you might as well get a socket 1150 Xeon. Similarly, the H100i is a lot of money to spend on something which will have near to zero purpose.

Memory is very expensive If you stick with a B85 board, then 1600 is as fast as you can find, but you can pick up a similar, more appropriate, kit for around $130. Doesn't make much sense to spend much more than that.
If you go to a Z87 board, then you have faster speeds on offer. While spending huge amounts of money on memory isn't usually the best return on investment, if you are willing to spend $175 then you have a huge selection on offer.
I'd suggest looking at a quality 1866Mhz kit like this, as a good place to start.

HDD is expensive. Caviar Blacks are great if you need the warranty, but they are dramatically more expensive than a Barracuda of the same capacity. I think if I was trying to do what you are, I'd use all the SATA ports available to me and split the storage between a couple of drives. It does limit future expansion, but 3TB is quite a lot, even in video editing terms.

Video card is a potential issue As Eduello pointed out, it's longer than the specs. Usually, there is a margin of error in these, but this image would suggest that it's pretty accurate and you might struggle to squeeze it in. Contradictory to that, there is this image and this image and the suggestion that you can actually fit up to 305mm, but it might be a tricky install. Personally, I don't see any reason why it won't fit, and it shouldn't have any effect on airflow though some of the cooler will extend beyond the side vent.
If you can save money, this is the place to spend more. A GTX770 is more than sufficient for 1080P gaming right now, but looking forwards, and in a build of this sort of expense, you might want to consider spending more.

PSU doesn't make a lot of sense. Somewhere around the 550W mark will be more than enough for this build. It's perhaps worth extending your search to include ~620W PSUs as well, as they can often be similarly priced.
As mentioned, Corsair CX are pretty cheap, so I'd look to get something nice with a quality OEM.
The Antec HCG-620M is consistently on offer, which should make it a really attractive prospect for you.
Alternatives include the Seasonic M12II-620, G-series 550W, Rosewill Capstone-M-550, XFX XTR-550W and if you really want a Corsair, the HX650.

Moees36

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

Rammy

Honorable
Despite the names, the Xeon E3s are very similar to i7s but without internal graphics.
You can use a 4770 (or a 4770K really, as sometimes they are very similarly priced) but you can save anything up to around $50 by going for one of the Xeons.
With the exception of the K, none of these can be overclocked, so are fine in a B85 (or H87/H81) board.
If you do go for one of these, it's worth considering that the H100i is more or less $100 down the drain, and if you aren't running a H100i (or similar) then the Corsair 250D is just a big wide box.

Given the amount of money you are potentially spending, the overclocking variant is definitely worth consideration. How well it scales is dependant on the software you use, and the types of games. Anything hugely CPU hungry is likely to get some degree of benefit. I'd suggest stretching the budget to include the Asus Z87I-Deluxe if this is the goal. With the H100i and this board, you should get a really nice overclock, and it should avoid any clearance issues too.

Memory prices change on a daily basis, and pcpartpicker is genuinely terrible at keeping up.
If you are going for 1600Mhz then this is the cheapest decent kit at the moment. There are solid Gskill and Corsair variants too if you have a brand bias.

Any of the PSUs I mentioned are great, but if you are buying today, I'd say the Antec HCG620M or Corsair HX650 are the ones to go for. Both are made by Seasonic, both are semi modular and both have really nice discounts right now. The Corsair has a better efficiency rating, and a bit more wattage (not that you are likely to ever need it) but it's probably not worth the extra $20. Up to you though.

Solution

Moees36

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

Well I guess its back to the drawing board for me. I have another question. What if I dont overclock and go with an i7 4770 or a i5 4670. Then will I get the performance needed to do the tasks that i listed to perform on this computer. ALSO will the i5 4670 be able to do the tasks that I listed above.