Question First time poster

Feb 7, 2022
Hey. Long story short, I built my own PC. I know how bad prebuilts can be. Don’t have enough money to save up and buy parts, and 30 series are still way overpriced. Dad’s PC sucks, want to upgrade for him. Built a custom Alienware PC through the Dell website, can do financing. Only issue with that, is that you can’t “legally” tamper with it until it’s payed off. Everything is listed except the motherboard. Which is my biggest concern. Wanted to know some opinions on it if was worth it anyway.

CPU: i9 12900KF
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090
Ram: 64 Dual Channel DDR5 (4,400mhz)
Storage: 2 TB SSD
Apparently Liquid Cooled (never used it)
Did add Premium Support Plus (warranty, etc)

Again, motherboard not listed. And it’s a $5,500 PC that I’d be paying like $400 a month for.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
No!
So much NO. No!
First,as a general rule,you don't want to go into debt (which is what you are doing when you pay per month) for anything other than a house and maybe a car.
Second,what are you going to be using the computer for?
As for the mobo,it will be a Dell mobo that will almost certainly be way worse than any stand alone name brand mobo. And the BIOS will be locked. Forget about overclocking.

My advice would be save up and have patience.

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
What model of dell did u spec out? Not everyone wants to overclock. Dell makes fine motherboards. I would not go 5500 in to debt to buy a pc. U can spec a nice xps build around $2800 that comes with 12900k and 3080 ti that will get u close to a 3090 but save u 900 bucks. Also look at the hp omen 45l line. There is a post here on tomshardware talking about how good they our.

Hey. Long story short, I built my own PC. I know how bad prebuilts can be. Don’t have enough money to save up and buy parts, and 30 series are still way overpriced. Dad’s PC sucks, want to upgrade for him. Built a custom Alienware PC through the Dell website, can do financing. Only issue with that, is that you can’t “legally” tamper with it until it’s payed off. Everything is listed except the motherboard. Which is my biggest concern. Wanted to know some opinions on it if was worth it anyway.

CPU: i9 12900KF
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090
Ram: 64 Dual Channel DDR5 (4,400mhz)
Storage: 2 TB SSD
Apparently Liquid Cooled (never used it)
Did add Premium Support Plus (warranty, etc)

Again, motherboard not listed. And it’s a $5,500 PC that I’d be paying like $400 a month for.
What does dad do with his pc?