Five Highly Efficient Power Supplies: 1200 W and Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackmagnum

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I respect mother earth and her well-being; I will never hurt her by accepting these gluttonous monstrosities in my gaming builds. Low budget/ low power/ high efficiency FTW!

kevith

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Schön, dass Ihr auch deutsche artikeln jetzt schreibt. Das hätte ich mich nie gedacht. Aber was mit alle die amerikanischen leser? Die kann bestimmt kein deutsch?

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
@blackmagnum

Well, you don't seem to understand fully.
They don't really consume more power than the connected hardware demands. On the other hand, they have an amazing efficiency rating, meaning that they use a minimum of power, and are therefore better for the planet. ;)

lp231

Splendid
I still like the interior of my Antec TruePower Quattro 850w. Massive heatsinks!
2hev6tx.jpg

About that Antec 1300w PSU, according to their site, it says that has a "20+8-pin MBU socket for the needs of tomorrow."
Do you guys have any info on this?
http://store.antec.com/highcurrentpro/hcp-1300-platinum.html

May 18, 2014
"At the time of writing, the website Plugloadsolutions.com only lists 7 Titanium-grade PSUs: Six models from a company called ‘Super Flower’ and the Corsair AX1500i"

Wow, way to discredit yourself completely. You're reviewing power supplies and you've never heard of Super Flower?

Not so sure about that. What they did was order a top model from Seasonic for their flagship power supply. No guarantees the rest of the product line will come from Seasonic. If they don't, as they never did in the past, then they will have no relation whatsoever with the flagship product. This is why I never buy power supplies from brands, only from the actual manufacturers.

TheMentalist

Distinguished

True, but i was saying that compared to their other series, like the SilentPro and GX series. But still even if it's not from seasonic they bench pretty good.

I just don't get the idea of including a drawstring bag with the PSU. What's the point? It's not like we often pull them out of the case and carry them around. I buy one, I install it in the case, and it stays there ( usually for years, ) until either it dies or I move it to a new case for a build. You want to include a bag or case for the modular cables, that makes perfect sense.

O_Pgamer96

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Schön, dass Ihr auch deutsche artikeln jetzt schreibt. Das hätte ich mich nie gedacht. Aber was mit alle die amerikanischen leser? Die kann bestimmt kein deutsch?
Ihr Browser eine ganze Seite nur durch den Nachweis der Einstellungen auf Ihrem PC in Ihre Muttersprache übersetzen. dies ist eine amerikanische Website.

O_Pgamer96

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
the charts for typical use should be adjusted tfor these psus. they are not meant to be run at 500w and i dont think they are tested for such.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

If you only build simple systems, sure, but many people build something very different. Max RAM, many
drives, oc'd 6-core, 4-way SLI/CF, etc. Mine is like that, and it's not even a particularly way out example.
Also depends what you're using it for. My quad-580 is for CUDA research, whereas my gaming PC is
just a 4-core i7 with two 580s. I use the top-end PSUs for custom video editing systems so they can
support 4+ GPUs for lots of CUDA power, etc.

Ian.

Neospiral

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
"At the time of writing, the website Plugloadsolutions.com only lists 7 Titanium-grade PSUs: Six models from a company called ‘Super Flower’ and the Corsair AX1500i"

Wow, way to discredit yourself completely. You're reviewing power supplies and you've never heard of Super Flower?

I thought the same thing. Then I read this:

"Using multiple graphics cards in a gaming PC is, however, a rare occurrence, as modern graphics cards are sufficiently powerful even for the most demanding games – there is simply no need for combining graphics cards via Nvidia’s SLI or AMD’s CrossFire."

and the article went from suspect credibility to no credibility. Ignorant author is ignorant. Find another website to get a legit look at high wattage PSU's, apparently.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Eh, it's kinda true. A single GPU solution is always best, unless you already bought say a 760 or 770 and only have to add another to get amazing performance, or you need 2 780's or 780ti's for a 4k display. I wouldn't say he's ignorant. That's just rude.

Neospiral

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
Eh, it's kinda true. A single GPU solution is always best, unless you already bought say a 760 or 770 and only have to add another to get amazing performance, or you need 2 780's or 780ti's for a 4k display. I wouldn't say he's ignorant. That's just rude.

Ok I'll grant you it was rude, but the quote was a blanket statement observing that it is never necessary to run with more than 1 graphics card, which is simply not true. I agree that a single card solution is always ideal and it is surely the most efficient, but you yourself pointed out that for 4k gaming you'd definitely need at least a pair of 780's or higher, and 4k is absolutely not the only scenario where a 2+ GPU solution is warranted. Some people like to max frames on their nice 120Hz+ monitors on ultra, or use an nvidia surround or amd eyefinity setup, which would certainly require several graphics cards to achieve decent performance. The article itself is even about high wattage PSUs, and multiple graphics cards are one of the main reasons you'd need a high wattage PSU in a consumer grade gaming rig. I'm not trying to hate here, it just bugs me when people who write these articles are apparently either misinformed or inexperienced.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

I agree, it was a bad, very general statement for him to make. You're also right that because he was reviewing high wattage PSUs, he should know what they are actually going to be used for. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.