fixing a dead psu

finexo

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
hi guys
i have a new corsaire cx 750 . i was runing 3 gpus with it (2 saphire amd r9 290 and 1 saphire amd hd 7950 ) after 15 days runing them for 24/24h the psu has stop runing
when i turn it on it just run for 5 to 10 min and then shutdown .
i have sent it to workshop he told me that all parts are okey . can any one help me

Solution
Look on the bright side. The graphics cards and other components were not damaged. This is a Very Good Thing, as dying power supplies have been known to take other hardware with them.

dkulprit

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
I would take one of the GPU's out. The AMD GPU's are power hogs. With it running for a few minutes before shutting down, I would either suspect that it is hitting a point where there is a major power draw and it is maxing out the PSU and causing it to shut down, or the AMD cards also run very hot so if you don't have proper ventilation it's possible that you are just overheating too.

But with 3 gpu's I am thinking it's the power draw. You didn't post your specs so I can't really do the calculations, but use this tool and throw in everything you have in your PC to see if maybe the power draw is just too high for a 750W.

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

EDIT:
With just 2 R9 290's without any other items in there, it is recommending 633w. So more then likely you are hitting your power limit.

Take the 7950 out.

finexo

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
i have tried to run the psu with only one gpu but it shutdown after 20 min . now i know that i was overloading the psu . i just want to fix it now

dkulprit

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Overloading it like that probably blew capacitors. Unless you know board level repairs and can get your hands on the capacitors you are not going to do anything but damage it more. If I were you, you said it is new, Corsair has a decent warranty, I'd try to RMA it if I were you.

Just don't mention the whole overloading thing.

dkulprit

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
The capacitors man. You blew the capacitors. The problem is that in a PSU you won't know which blew, or how many (there are a lot) so each would have to be desoldered from the PSU tested, find out how many need replacing, and then replaced and everything soldered back in. The cost of doing that is going to be higher then buying a new PSU.

Get a new PSU.

Try to warranty it anyways. The worst that will happen is that they will send it back.

ALSO FYI, not sure where you live. But in the US, that is not actually the case. They cannot VOID the warrantly or deny you a warranty because you or someone else opened it. You sure blew the warranty by overloading it. But they don't know that. They cannot void the warranty for you attempting to repair it yourself. They discourage people witht hose stickers, but it is illegal and can lead to fines or even a lawsuit if they do. It is called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/jailbreaking-iphone-rooting-android-does-not-void-warranty

bignastyid

Titan

I highly doubt you can and for what it would cost to ship it to someone who could it would likely be cheaper and a whole lot faster buying a proper replacement.