[SOLVED] Fixing a friends PC

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Hi there,
I am trying to fix a friends pc,the first thing i noticed was a burnt electrical smell from the PSU,so i connected another one to see if it would run.
when i turned it on,the cpu fan turned for a few seconds and stopped.
i checked the CMOS battery and still the same,checked all cables are connected properly(all good)still the issue remains.
i replaced thermal paste on cpu(it seemed fine)
the psu has these specs....its a very cheap psu
dc output +3.3v=25a orange
+5v=20a red
+12v= 30a yellow
PG(gray)-12v=0.5a(blue) +5vsb=2.5a(purple)
output watts 550w max

the psu i tested on the pc is brand new
https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/power-supplies/atx/89784-100-bv-0450-k4
im not sure what to do next.
is it possible the mobo is dead?
any assistance is appreciated.
thanks

Solution
the first thing i noticed was a burnt electrical smell from the PSU

When PSU goes sky high, it has the magical ability to fry EVERYTHING it is connected to. So, you can safely assume that the entire PC is dead. And if you want to test if any of components survived, you need 2nd compatible PC, where to test those components. Without 2nd PC, there's no way to tell what survived and what did not.

+5v=20a red
+12v= 30a yellow
output watts 550w max

Specs doesn't tell much about PSU. What does tell, is make and model (or part number). But if it is no-name PSU, then this here is great example why never cheap...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
the first thing i noticed was a burnt electrical smell from the PSU

When PSU goes sky high, it has the magical ability to fry EVERYTHING it is connected to. So, you can safely assume that the entire PC is dead. And if you want to test if any of components survived, you need 2nd compatible PC, where to test those components. Without 2nd PC, there's no way to tell what survived and what did not.

+5v=20a red
+12v= 30a yellow
output watts 550w max

Specs doesn't tell much about PSU. What does tell, is make and model (or part number). But if it is no-name PSU, then this here is great example why never cheap out on PSU and go with no-name doorstep, since when it blows, it can take everything with it. And last i checked, good quality PSU costs ~$100, which is far less than replacing the rest of the PC + blown PSU as well.

This here, is what i call a life's tax.

the psu i tested on the pc is brand new

Just because PSU is brand new, doesn't mean it's good. EVGA BV series, is poor quality PSU and maybe, MAYBE, good enough for office PC, without dedicated GPU. Though, it is a notch better than the crap quality no-name PSU that blew up, but here's the thing, that crap quality PSU was "new" at one time as well. So, being "new" doesn't matter that much. What matters, is build quality.

Btw, i see that the store you linked, also sells refurbished BV series. Did you buy the refurbished PSU?

Solution

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

Specs doesn't tell much about PSU. What does tell, is make and model (or part number). But if it is no-name PSU, then this here is great example why never cheap out on PSU and go with no-name doorstep, since when it blows, it can take everything with it. And last i checked, good quality PSU costs ~$100, which is far less than replacing the rest of the PC + blown PSU as well.

This here, is what i call a life's tax.

Just because PSU is brand new, doesn't mean it's good. EVGA BV series, is poor quality PSU and maybe, MAYBE, good enough for office PC, without dedicated GPU. Though, it is a notch better than the crap quality no-name PSU that blew up, but here's the thing, that crap quality PSU was "new" at one time as well. So, being "new" doesn't matter that much. What matters, is build quality.

Btw, i see that the store you linked, also sells refurbished BV series. Did you buy the refurbished PSU?
thanks for your advice...and no i never buy refurbished parts,

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In a situation like this it is worthwhile if you are familiar with what happened to cause or the start of the failure.

For instance, was person using computer at the time? Smoke? Sparks? BSOD? Lightning storm?

Full system spec can be helpful if you know.