Fixing a Leaky AIO Liquid Cooler, Then Using Toothpaste For Thermal Paste

judahg460

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018
Hello, I recently had a leaking AIO water cooler that was not keeping my temps. I had taken the water cooler off a couple of times so the theremal paste was not working, and on top of that it was leaking. I took this thing to my garage, cleaned it out with distilled water and then filled it with distilled water. Then I put the tubes back on the fittings, zip tied them up, applied toothpaste to the cpu and installed my cooler. It now runs at 4.4 Ghz with temps of 140 feriheight on prime 95. Your thouughts on this? (P.S. I am thirteen and this is my first time with water cooling)

WildCard999

Titan
This seems.... dangerous, at least for your other components. AIO's are not made to be tampered with and usually carry a decent warranty to have them fixed or replaced by the manufacturer. If your "fix" does ruin your other parts then the manufacturer will not cover those damaged parts as you messed with the AIO instead of RMA. Also why toothpaste? Any decent thermal paste only cost about $5.

While 140F (60C) appears to be good we have no idea as you never posted your specs.

judahg460

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018
Well i have an fx 8150 on a 990 FXA-GD80 with 16 gb ddr3 ram and a hd 6970. Its old stuff and i have a spare mobo. Also how different is this from a custom loop? It has the same risks as a custom loop. when i gave yall 140 that was 1 minute on prime 95. After 10 minutes it got up to 150 and then came down to 148 and just stayed there. I was going to buy some Arctic Silver 5 because this toothpaste thing was not permanent.

judahg460

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018
And so far there is no leaking and my loop seems fine. The pump sounds fine. I would rather try this out until it leaks than spend 30 bucks on a new cooler.

USAFRet

Titan

Toothpaste = 1 day
Leaky AIO = 1 day

Kudos for working with what you have, though.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Check engine light on my car? I would rather try this out until something happens rather than take 10 minutes to have a repair shop read the code.

judahg460

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018

As i said before, How different is this from a closed custom loop?

USAFRet

Titan

Did you get ALL the air out?
How did you verify this?

How are you ensuring the ziptie connections won't move a millimeter or so (vibration is a thing), leaking fluid all over your other parts?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Many people have successfully drained and refilled AIOs, including me, but that was to test flow and coolant deltas. It isn't too difficult to do, but you do have to be patient and use a syringe to get both the pump and radiator+tubing as full as possible before sealing up.

Toothpaste as thermal compound...that's garbage and I wouldn't trust that. You can easily get cheap thermal paste on Amazon or Ebay for like $1. Heck, you can even get it at many local electronics stores.

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
Just taking what used to be an AIO CLC, and cutting it apart to make an open custom loop.

Completely different than the first post, which seemed to be refilling a CLC. (and using toothpaste?)

Again, kudos for doing it, and it looks mostly cool.