Fixing Bad File Record Signature

After a major crash, I reinstalled my OS (XP Pro), and now the 2 external
firewire drives are not readable due to a "Bad file record signature" error.
I get a "A file or directory is not readable" pop-up when trying to open the
drive from 'Explore' . Is there any way to rewrite the drive's mbr or
directory to have the OS read it?

--
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

downloder <downloder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>After a major crash, I reinstalled my OS (XP Pro), and now the 2 external
>firewire drives are not readable due to a "Bad file record signature" error.
>I get a "A file or directory is not readable" pop-up when trying to open the
>drive from 'Explore' . Is there any way to rewrite the drive's mbr or
>directory to have the OS read it?
>
> --
>Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Check the drive manufacturer's web site for any diagnostic utilities
for your drive models. Also check out Spinrite 6 from Gibson
Research (www.grc.com)

Spinrite has always been the best available product for fixing hard
drive problems, and they have just recently released version 6 which
has added features for dealing with modern drives. I know that it now
supports NTFS as well as FAT32 partitions but am not sure if it will
work with SATA drives.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--