Question Fixing squeaky fan

WolfandTheJoker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
I am trying to find a fix squeaky fan on PC. I have limited it down to the CPU fan or the power supply fan. The CPU fan I can easily fix (if I need to), but the power supply fan is another issue.

How do I go about replacing/fixing it if I need to?

I am trying to find a fix squeaky fan on PC. I have limited it down to the CPU fan or the power supply fan. The CPU fan I can easily fix (if I need to), but the power supply fan is another issue.

How do I go about replacing/fixing it if I need to?

Most will tell you hands off power supply fans without prior experience due to risks to your health.

I'm sure it's doable if you have the knowledge and tools. I'm guessing you don't have the knowledge, but I don't know your appetite for risk, your tolerance for squeaking, or your inclination to buy a new power supply.

WolfandTheJoker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Most will tell you hands off power supply fans without prior experience due to risks to your health.

I'm sure it's doable if you have the knowledge and tools. I'm guessing you don't have the knowledge, but I don't know your appetite for risk, your tolerance for squeaking, or your inclination to buy a new power supply.
Right now I am working on the cleaning aspect. You know do the easiest thing first type deal.

If you open the PSU so you can put your hands on the internal components, you are taking some level of risk. I don't know how risky that is. I'd guess it is low risk IF, I SAY IF, you know what you are doing. Obviously your choice entirely.

Without opening it up, what else can you do? Use high pressure air to blow dust out?

First, find out what fan is actually making the noise.

Put a paper tube to your ear and direct it at either the cooler or the psu and you should be able to tell which is the culprit.

Verify that the noise is not something simple like a cable rubbing against the blades.

What is the make/model of your cpu cooler?
Some will have proprietary fans which are difficult to replace.

What is the make/model of your psu?
I would not try to fix a noisy but working psu fan.
If it is still under warranty, you may be able to rma it.
Otherwise, consider a replacement.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
So you have found for sure the noise is from the CPU cooler fan. Further, you also know how to remove that from the heatsink and replace, WITHOUT removing the entire cooler system from the CPU. You best solution by far is simply to replace that fan. It really is NOT possible to disassemble current fans, clean and oil them, and re-assemble.

Most CPU cooler unit fans can be replaced with similar fans from several makers - NOT necessary to get an identical replacement from the maker. Most are in "standard" fan sizes like 80mm, 90 mm, or 120 mm. But you do need one that is rated for higher backpressure to force air through the narrow spaces of the heatsink fins. So you need a "pressure" fan, not an "air flow" fan. And ideally it should be a 4-pin PWM type, not 3-pin UNLESS your old unit is a 3-pin fan. If you need help finding a fan to meet these needs, tell us the maker and exact model of the CPU cooler system you have, or at least what the label on the FAN says. Oh, and the size? The spec is the length of one SIDE of the square fan frame, not the distance between the mounting holes.

TRENDING THREADS