Fixing The Radeon R9 290 With Arctic's Accelero Xtreme III

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrevil1982

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Can someone confirm this:
While using beta 9.4 my max gpu with accelero 3 was 65C,next day after instaling beta 9.5 it is again 95C

Grzegorz Wereszko

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Would be nice if there were a few more images of the mounting system, from the side so that we can see clearance between the heatsinks. In short, using larger heatsinks on the VRM would give more potential, current VRM coolers that are part of the kit are simply way too Small. :(

Still this is a really good article, showing what potential is hidden under the inefficient cooler from AMD.

Grzegorz Wereszko

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
With regards to the explanation of this being an exaust cooler so hard to develop. Sorry, Nvidia's solution is a marvel of enginnering. looks impressive, performs impressively, no excuse.

AMD is in a tough financial situation so they simply didn't want to invest money in the development of the cooler. And in the end the current R9 290X with default cooling solution is not a product for normal user who wants to maintain their ears.

FYI, I just orderd the R9 290x. Reason is like most of us here, we are not normal PC users, and modding the cards cooler is not difficult for us, and that is where the card shines.

mrevil1982

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Thanks for replying but i solved it ,my heatsink wasn wasn't tightned enough,
Now the gpu max temp is 58C, VRM are 55 max and the score in walley benschmark is higher than before,now is 2400.
Thanks for help.

Dubbstepp

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I was really hoping AMD would improve their stock fans with the Hawaii series......Well I'll just keep my fingers crossed for their next line.

Jeenyusone

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Is there any need to add all those heatsinks for this mod? Is there an advantage of installing every single one as opposed to only a few?

Darthmullet

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
They're all out of stock -- everywhere. Only one I see is going for $100. Any idea why? Are these not being made anymore and being sucked up cause of the 290's? A bit bummed.

Darthmullet

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
@Kosma 290 will release before 290x, at this point best guess is end of December through early January. There's a tech event near the midpoint of January that will probably coincide with some releases, too.

Double N

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
It might just be better if we oc our card with ref cooler wait till it die and send them back and get new one. If there are like 500 cards back to amd every month they might want to give us a proper cooler.

Grzegorz Wereszko

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I will admit that the article convinced me to get both the R9 290x and this cooler.

One thing about temperatures. It was posted with only the tempeatures after the mod, it would be nice to have the original temperatures also, especially when it comes to the VRM's From what I remember, VRM's have the general tendency of running much hotter, even into the 100*C range in previous generations.

Ciatzo

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Guys please tell me hwo to get the accessory kit with the mmissing heatsinks, since i cant's find it online and really need it!

lowstandards

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004

The instructions are kind of vague and there were not enough VRAM sinks for mine either. But there are plenty of other sink in the package. I just paired up some identical ones and used those on my remaining VRAM. Still going strong and flying through games with this [now] quiet beast!

lowstandards

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004

I use HWINFO but GPU-Z also works for VRM temps. Speaking of which, the highest I've seen is 90 degrees. Averages during a long gaming session is around 86

Status
Not open for further replies.