Question Flash BIOS Button FW update causing crashing

MiniMadness

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
I installed MSI Dragon Center to update the BIOS of my motherboard ( I regret not doing this manually greatly now...). When it checked for an update it also found an update for the Flash BIOS Button FW. I clicked to update both and let it run. When my computer restarted into Windows after the update, a large white banner appeared stating "FLASH BIOS Button FW update in progress. Please don't turn off the PC!". After a few seconds, my monitor went black and all my fans spun up to full speed. My power button stopped responding and the only way to restart was to turn off the power supply.

I discovered that the Motherboard BIOS hadn't been updated and so manually updated that using a USB stick. The BIOS is now up to date but I'm still getting the crash into fan going to full whenever I boot into Windows and the Flash BIOS Button FW update tries to run.

I can manage to get into Windows safe mode as well as boot into an older copy of Windows I have on an old drive. I suspect I need to stop the Flash BIOS Button FW update from trying to run when I launch Windows but I've tried uninstalling MSI Dragon Center, as well as some hunting around in the files but I honestly am not what I'm looking for and need some help with that.

Motherboard : MSI B450 Tomahawk
CPU : AMD 2600x
GPU : Nvidia 2060 Founders
Ram : 2x8 Corsair Vengance @ 3200mhz
1EdFgAA.jpg

MiniMadness

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
Good news, I managed to solve it! My computer stayed open long enough after a boot for me to get Task Manager open and locate and close the process. It was running from C:\MSI\OneDC . I feel dumb for not seeing it there while I was looking in safe mode but to be fair I expected it to be with the other MSI stuff in Program Files.

May 20, 2022
Good news, I managed to solve it! My computer stayed open long enough after a boot for me to get Task Manager open and locate and close the process. It was running from C:\MSI\OneDC . I feel dumb for not seeing it there while I was looking in safe mode but to be fair I expected it to be with the other MSI stuff in Program Files.
You got luckier than I did! While the update wasn't causing my computer to crash, it did completely block me out of MSI Center and would never finish the update. I ended up having to uninstall msi center, msi center sdk, msi live update, and then going to my appdata folder and clearing all temp files just so it wouldn't try to update when I installed msi center again.