Flash drives in usb port do not work

paca32249

Reputable
May 31, 2018
It's now May 31,2018. Here's the issue. I have intel i2500 K, never over-clock. My Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 mobo, circa 2012. Nvidia gtx 970 4 gig. 1 ssd 250 hd. 1 2T hd. 1 4tb hd. 2 dvd/cd rom. 1 fan cooler. 1 140mm fan. 4 120mm fans. Corsair H60 water cooler. Cooler Master 640 ll case. 1 usb 2.0 in front. 2 usb 2.0 on top. 4 usb 2.0 on mobo on back. 2 usb 3 on mobo at back. Windows 10 Pro version 1803. 700 w power supply. According to EVGA web site, I only require 450 w, so I'm good there. I have keyboard and mouse plugged into usb 2.0 on back.

Here's the problem. All of the usb's work. I can plug the mouse and keyboard in to any of them and they all work. When I plug in any flash drive, no matter how large/small, they don't work. All of my flash drives work on the wife's laptop, but not my pc. When I plug a flash drive in, I can hear it, it lights up, but it is not recognized through file explorer. When I go into disk management, I can see it, but I can't do anything from there. It doesn't matter what operation I try to perform with the usb via disk management, I get a box telling me "the operation failed to complete because the disk management console is not up to date..yadda yadda yadda". When I plug in the usb, I see "usb mass storage device" in "device manager" and when I remove the flashdrive, the "usb mass storage device" is also removes, which means that device manager can see my flash drive when I plug it in and remove it, but I still can't use any flash drives.

It doesn't matter what I do; uninstall/install drivers, update drivers, remove drivers and scan for hardware changes, 842 times. NOTHING WORKS. I even had a Microsoft technician on my pc, remotely, and after 6 hours he told me that it's a driver issue. I talked to Gigabyte and they told me that there are no more updates for the 6 yr. old mobo. They also told me that Microsoft updates should take care of it if it's a driver issue. That is the only issue with my pc. I can play any game that's out there with what I have and everything else works. If it's a driver issue, I will have to do without the usb's because I don't want to spend $$$ for new mobo, leading to new cpu, leading to new ram and probably new GPU.

I have been Googling for 2 months and all the answers are the same...uninstall/install, scan for hardware changes, yadda yadda yadda. I have asked computer stores but they will charge to look into it, charge money, but no guarantees that they can fix it. I don't know a lot about 'puters, but I find it hard believe that this is a driver issue. I don't know what else to write and hope that I have covered it all.

If there's anyone who can shed light on this and resolve this, I would be thanking you 'till the cows come home. But the way it looks, those cows ain't-a-coming-home any time soon. The usb's worked with flash drives, and now they don't. The only thing different on my pc is the upgrade 2 months ago from Windows ver. 1709 to 1803. If the Microsoft tech is right and Windows 1803 is the culprit, then I won't roll back, even if that would fix it, because it makes no sense to go backwards with Windows. Besides, I don't want to roll back just in case it didn't work and it was all for nought.

So I'll live without the usb's for now. If someone does have an answer , I know that there are at least, 20,000 people on the internet since 2004, who will appreciate the solution. If it is a driver issue, then woe is me. I thank you one and all for help and suggestions. Paca

An update, 8-20-18. I thank the 45 people who viewed this and didn't respond because they could not solve the problem. I also thank the few that did try. I am surprised, stunned actually, that nobody was able to solve this riddle. Wherever I read about millions of people helping others with their problems/issues throughout the internet world, it seems as if everybody and their Grandmother has an answer. Not so here.
I'm living without my usb ports and it's not killing me, but it would be wonderful if I knew what the problem is. This is so unsolvable, that Corsair ( who were outstanding in their attempts) couldn't. Even Jayztwocents and Linus tech tips, with all their knowledge of computers and millions of followers and millions of videos on tech information, were unable to fix this.
I'll keep checking from time to time. Meanwhile, thanks to those who tried. Paca

paca32249

Reputable
May 31, 2018
An update, 8-20-18. I thank the 45 people who viewed this and didn't respond because they could not solve the problem. I also thank the few that did try. I am surprised, stunned actually, that nobody was able to solve this riddle. Wherever I read about millions of people helping others with their problems/issues throughout the internet world, it seems as if everybody and their Grandmother has an answer. Not so here.
I'm living without my usb ports and it's not killing me, but it would be wonderful if I knew what the problem is. This is so unsolvable, that Corsair ( who were outstanding in their attempts) couldn't. Even Jayztwocents and Linus tech tips, with all their knowledge of computers and millions of followers and millions of videos on tech information, were unable to fix this.
I'll keep checking from time to time. Meanwhile, thanks to those who tried. Paca

paca32249

Reputable
May 31, 2018

Hello Nigel.Thank you. I get it. I have now, thanks to your suggestion, modified my one long-assed paragraph to make for an easier read. This way, someone can read a paragraph, take a bathroom break, grab a coffee and a smoke, then resume reading. I realize that it is long, but I do know that after reading about a lot of problems here, there are always replies that wish the problem contained more information. Unfortunately, there are a lot of aspects that make up my problem, and I tried to answer those questions on the first try, so this length was necessary. Good idea, thanks Nigel, I appreciate it. I hope that it leads to a solution. If so, I owe you a beer.