Flash Kills the MacBook Air Battery 33% Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Adobe's Flash implementation on OSX has always been rather poor, running significantly slower (and with much higher CPU utilization) than on Windows. I don't blame Apple for wanting to dump flash in favor of a more open standard. Open standards like HTML5 allow Apple (or Firefox or whoever) to optimize the source code and write a lean and fast implementation. With a proprietary product like Adobe Flash, nobody has any access to the source code except Adobe.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Requiring the user to go and get Flash defeats the purpose of it being a mac. Aren't apple's computers known for their ease of use? Requiring the user to download and update Flash kinda kills that...

hotchrisbfries

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Flash is actively drawn and persistent on web pages. It's also known that it is CPU/GPU intensive. It's like running a DVD nonstop. It takes extra CPU cycles and possibly extra components.

TLDR = Cpu usage eats battery, duh!

fyend

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Apple's implementation of FreeBSD has always been rather poor, running significantly slower than the original.[/citation]

Fixed.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
just turn the gpu acceleration off...

oh wait, we are talking about Apple crowd.

personally, i love the gpu acceleration applications whether its implementation on Firefox 4.0 or on flash 10.1, it makes life far better.

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
How about testing a website or application written in flash, then test a website or application wrtitten with exactly the same functionality in HTML5.

This would be a fair comparison.

I bet watching high definition videos would reduce the battery life by 33% also, does this mean that the ability to play these videos whould be taken away?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
With new flash drives comes with more and more transistors. I always wonder if the drive still takes less power than the conventional hard drive counterpart, now apple found that for me.

It seems to me is that Seagate is the better option for me with their hybrid drive. I guess I'll wait for more test about this issue.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]rexter[/nom]With new flash drives comes with more and more transistors. I always wonder if the drive still takes less power than the conventional hard drive counterpart, now apple found that for me.It seems to me is that Seagate is the better option for me with their hybrid drive. I guess I'll wait for more test about this issue.[/citation]

dude you aimed for east, but you hit west

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Did they say what "flash" they had when they conducted this so called "test"? Cause if they play a game or video in flash and browse pages with just text,t hen that is not a fair comparison.

And you can count on Apple to take ancient technology and get its fans excited about it... whether it be making folders on the iphone, or core2duo on their new laptops. *yawn*

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]bhaberle[/nom]Did they say what "flash" they had when they conducted this so called "test"? Cause if they play a game or video in flash and browse pages with just text,t hen that is not a fair comparison. And you can count on Apple to take ancient technology and get its fans excited about it... whether it be making folders on the iphone, or core2duo on their new laptops. *yawn*[/citation]

Reason they use core2duo in the low end laptops is so they can couple it with a decent gnu, cuz intel is of the gay and won't let any other integrated ships elides their own into i3/5 etc.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Reason they use core2duo in the low end laptops is so they can couple it with a decent gnu, cuz intel is of the gay and won't let any other integrated ships elides their own into i3/5 etc.[/citation]
Hmmm. Good point there sir.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

I've always considered efficiency, capacity and value, and Flash drive ain't one of it. I am thinking to get a MacBook Air for my wife but I don't think it's what she needs. We both like the size and it's simplicity but not what it can it can do.

No disrespect but I prefer not to be called dude.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]rexter[/nom]I've always considered efficiency, capacity and value, and Flash drive ain't one of it. I am thinking to get a MacBook Air for my wife but I don't think it's what she needs. We both like the size and it's simplicity but not what it can it can do.No disrespect but I prefer not to be called dude.[/citation]

i meant that the article is about adobe flash not flash drives

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Rexter DUDE...You are 100% lost here. Please re-read the article. It has NOTHING at all to do with flash-memory-based SSD hard drives. We're talking about Adobe Flash web site technology, not hardware.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
And Rexter...there is nothing more energy efficient and mind-blowing fast than SSD hard drives. You can hardly buy MP3 players, Netbooks, Laptops, tablets these days that DON'T use SSD Flash memory technology instead of old fragile disk drives. It's here today and is only dominating more in the future.

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
@p05esto
Well said; the only bad thing about SSD is the capacity. The whole point of MacBook Air is portability. Anything that kills battery has to go; which brings us here.

What about extra space you may ask? Well, that's what NAS (clouds and what-have-you) is for. Apple got it right with Air. Repeat after me, portability, portability, portability.

drapple

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
HTML5 will be great and Flash will probably be the main creator of HTML5 in about 10 years time when HTML5 is actually finalised and supported widely enough to be considered seriously.

The article is fairly pointless - its like comparing web browsing to playing a game on a laptop. Anything more intesive that reading text will use more battery.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I realize that guys/gals after my second post but I am tired and just checking my last email before i retire to bed, I also didn't want to re-edit my post I was was going back anyway. I apologize for miss understanding the article.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
They could've used an i3's integrated graphics for Flash, but they didn't want to have to write new drivers for Intel HD graphics that includes NVIDIA Optimus support. Call it being lazy or incompetent. Either way, it's Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.