Flashing icons and task bar

Debbie_59

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
I installed Windows 10 on my Dell laptop yesterday. After it finished, my desktop icons started blinking on and off and will not stop. I can't access anything on the computer. Can someone please help me? Has anyone else had this problem?

Solution
Hello,

Kindly try the following;

1. Click the Start icon
2 .Type in regedit
3. Select regedit from the top of the result
4. Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
5. Edit ForegroundFlashCount
>> Find ForegroundFlashCount
>> Double click ForegroundFlashCount
>> Replace the value for Value Data with 1
>> Edit ForgroundLockTimeout
>> Find ForegroundLockTimeout
>> Double click ForegroundLockTimeout
>> Replace the value for Value Data with 0

6. Reboot your PC.

Slashgeek

Admirable
Hello,

Kindly try the following;

1. Click the Start icon
2 .Type in regedit
3. Select regedit from the top of the result
4. Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
5. Edit ForegroundFlashCount
>> Find ForegroundFlashCount
>> Double click ForegroundFlashCount
>> Replace the value for Value Data with 1
>> Edit ForgroundLockTimeout
>> Find ForegroundLockTimeout
>> Double click ForegroundLockTimeout
>> Replace the value for Value Data with 0

6. Reboot your PC.

Solution

Bradmph

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Maybe try and uninstall the update that Microsoft did to you that caused this and see if that fixes, If no change maybe step back one recovery. Your not the Lone Ranger by the way...same crap happened to me as well. Friggin icon light show. Started on a spare harddrive and worked over to system drive. I have done all the virus checks and useless things with no luck. I heard if you drive a truck into the Microsoft building at 100mph, it might make you feel better, but still doesn't fix it.

Why does Microsoft make us Beta test their crap program writing. With respect to our systems that we did pay for, unlike the broken OS given out by them, perhaps doing a couple minutes of testing could help stop messing up our stuff.

Fexen

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
Update: I started to suspect icons related to video files. When I removed the completely unnecessary Movies & TV app, the flashing stopped :)! Btw, I could not reassign avi-files to any other default program, such as Windows Media Player, prior to uninstalling the M&TV (cr)app.

Aug 6, 2018
Whilst this is an old thread, it is still relevant. I tried a lot of fixes as described here and on other sites, but none of them worked.
This is my fix and it worked. I created a new folder on my desktop and started dragging my desktop icons into that folder one by one until the flashing stopped. I did not open the folder on the desktop just dragged the icons into it. I put about 6 files in there and the flashing stopped on the last one. I opened the folder on the desktop and it started flashing again. The file was a jpg file, not a jpeg that was causing the problem because of the default association program which i think, caused it to refresh all the time. The program was called pixillion by NCH. Anyway to fix this all I did was to rename the jpg to jpeg and all is good. The association for the JPEG is different to the JPG file. For some reason I cant get into my default opening programs at the moment. It took me two days to work this out and I hope I can save somebody else all the drama.

TRENDING THREADS