Sep 27, 2021
so i recently got an acer predator helios 300 with an intel core i7 8750h and a broken gtx 1060 6gb. upon further investigation the graphics card appears to be working, but 3 out of 6 gb of vram are completely fried due to a failed power inductor. could i flash the bios of the gpu for a 3gb model and have it running again? i can't afford a solder rework station, and i cant find a source for new memory chips. the computer runs, but blue screens when installing gpu drivers and requires me to remove the device in safe mode to get it booting again.

Solution
so i recently got an acer predator helios 300 with an intel core i7 8750h and a broken gtx 1060 6gb. upon further investigation the graphics card appears to be working, but 3 out of 6 gb of vram are completely fried due to a failed power inductor. could i flash the bios of the gpu for a 3gb model and have it running again? i can't afford a solder rework station, and i cant find a source for new memory chips. the computer runs, but blue screens when installing gpu drivers and requires me to remove the device in safe mode to get it booting again.
No.
A different BIOS will not fix a physical problem.

You have a busted laptop.

USAFRet

Titan
No.
A different BIOS will not fix a physical problem.

You have a busted laptop.

Reactions: DeadMiraii
Solution