flat vs normal??

G

What's the diff btwn flat monitor and regular? What is the benefit of one or the other??

G

TF - True flat monitors have better geometry, much less glare, are brighter - at least the Trinitron version is, and much easier to look at, after a short period to get adjusted.
They are better, just try one for awhile, you won't go back!
The only thing I've noticed that is negative, is that the color black is not as dark as on other monitors, blacks apperar as dark greys, instead of true/dark black

G

The flat screen just looks so much better. I went from a regular 19" to a flat 19" and the flat screen is more comfortable to look at.

G

Flat screens will have one other negative: two lines running across the screen. I am not sure if all of them have it but anything using a sony tube will. The lines are very faint and are caused by the hardware required to get the screen to be flat. You would probably only notice them on your desktop if you have a solid colored background. Personally i believe flat screens are better but some people can't stand the lines. Its a matter of personal preference.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
two lines (sometimes only one a bit thicker, or even 3 really thin ones) are only on "trinitron" tubes, and are usually clearly labeled as such...
not all flat CRTs are trinitron, AFAIK...
And besides, the trinitron technology only provides for vercital flatness (wires are going up/down), not horizontal, that has to be achieved differently...

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oh, and personally, I just couldn't live with noticable lines... it would drive me NUTS! :)
I can't be persuaded to pay so much more money to get what (for me) ammounts to a defective monitor:)
But I think (and anybody correct me please, I'd want to know!) that my upcoming Samsung 955DF is Flat but not Trinitron...

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The lines in a trinitron monitor are actually heat sinks. They disperse the heat caused by the higher power output of a trinitron monitor.

The standard CRT, like a television uses red, green, and blue pixels, which are clustered together in groups of three.

With a trinitron, the colors are layed in "strips", red, green, and blue alternating.

The major difference is that on a standard CRT you will have a sharper picture. On a trinitron you will have more vibrant, deeper color.

In my experiance (I use dual monitors, I have a 17" Acerview 76ie CRT, and a 17" Sony Trinitron in front of me right now) the difference in the crispness it not really noticeable. While the difference in color is MUCH better on the trinitron.

You do have to get used to those lines, but they don't bother me in the least. I tend to conentrate more on the graphics/text I am looking at than those lines.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>> The lines in a trinitron monitor are actually heat sinks

exSCuse me?
That's news to me...
AFAIK, the (1,2 or 3) horizontal lines are there to hold the zillion little vertical lines in place, which (like other methods such as shadow mask etc) are there to allign the rays/pixels properly... it is beyond me why you would need heatsinks at the FRONT of the monitor -- has anybody ever felt their *screen* to be hot? Not me...

(somebody correct me if I've been living a lie all this time:)

dfoisy

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2001
I also was shopping for a new computer and when i saw those 2 lines on flat 19" monitors i was very disapointed because i knew i couldn't stand these lines which i too consider as a defect and almost resignated myself in bying a regular CRT monitor until i saw LG's FLATRON 915FT Plus monitor...the salesman told me that LG found a way to render them invisible but my guess is that it's probably just not a Trinitron tube.

IF anyone of you had seen and/or tried this monitor, please tell me more about it.

Daniel

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the lines might be a slight deterrant at the start, you only notice them for a while and then they disappeared, well until i read this thread when i barely noticed them, ive got a lacie electron 22 blue, its a sweet yet extremely expensive monitor, nice 22 incher, the lines are not heat sinks as was previously stated, they are in fact there to lower vibration within the monitor and produce a more stble picture, and this picture is extremely and i mean extremely stable and clear, unbelievable, i also have 2 14 inchers 2 15 inchers an amazing 17 incher gateway 2000 and a [-peep-] 19 inch monitor and have used many many 17-21 inchers, large monitors are extremely poor unless they are either flat or at least vertically flat like the sont trinitrons, not to be mistaken for the sony fd trinitron (the flat tube) the best tube is made by mitsubishi for flatscreens and even though most monitors that use it are expensive especially mine, but they do give a better picture than that of the sony tube