Question Flickering in Windows: Monitor or GPU?

Mar 30, 2024
Hello everyone!!!
First of all, I apologize for my bad English and if in case I have wrong forum section.
Recently it happens that both in game and on the desktop (usually when I have any window open) the image on the screen glitches/flickers for an instant (further on I linked a video I recorded about this phenomenon), and then everything returns to normal.
This happens only on one of the two monitors I have connected, specifically the one set to 165Hz.
The setup used is as follows:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black DDR4-RAM 3600 MHz 2x 8GB (no XMP)
  • MOBO: MSI X570-A PRO AMD (latest bios)
  • CASE: Sharkoon M25-W Midi-Tower
  • PSU: Be Quiet! System Power 9 500W ATX Black
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060 EAGLE OC V2 12GB (stock, never tweacked)
  • Storage:
    • 1 x SSD 2.5''
    • 1 x HDD 2.5''
    • 2 x HDD 3.5''
    • 1 x NVMe Gen4 M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB
  • MONITORs:
    • PHILIPS Evnia Gaming Monitor 24M1N3200Za/00 (@165Hz w/ DP1.4)
    • TV AKAI 1080P (60Hz w/ HDMI)

This phenomenon occurs both in Windows 10 (clean installation, no crack, no tweaking, no dubious tools and not activated) and in EndeavourOS where the phenomenon always occurs on the PHILIPS monitor @165Hz.

On Windows I re-performed the clean driver installation with the help of DDU, but nothing changed. I also used an HDMI 2.0 cable, but the phenomenon still occurred. Searching the internet I found a file.reg on reddit that was supposed to solve the problem by disabling Multi-Plane Overlays via windows registry, but nothing.

I downloaded benchmarks but they all run great. I got error free responses on the vram with both OCCT and memtest_vulkan(lasted 2 hours).Finally I took a look at the temperatures in the various games and benchmarks but everything is in the normal range.I then opened the pc, and took a better look at the HW just checking if the various connectors were well plugged in by reattaching the various connections but nothing. At last I tried checking the nvidia control panel (disabling in-game overlays) .

As for the monitor settings, I really don't know where to put my hand and whether to put it.
I also tried setting the pcie line from auto to gen3, and repeated the tests/benchmarks the pc would reboot, of course then I reset the bios.

Searching the net, I found that this kind of problem may also be due with some signal interference so I order a DP 1.4 cable for €15 which will arrive the next day.

In the meantime, I reset the monitor and also the nvidia control panel, where the 3d settings panel is reset and gsync is on. It occurs to me that I've had this kind of problem several times in the testing stages with OCCT, so I open it but don't start any stress tests, I just quickly switch tabs in the software because I formulate a rather peculiar theory.

Anyway I increase the speed of tab switching more and more and the phenomenon recurs, and with the phone I record everything and upload the video to youtube linked below ( 0:27 I put one of the many sections where the phenomenon occurs in slowmotion).

After recording the video it did flickering again on firefox (with HW acceleration) without artifacts, so I cross out the first option (sigh) and the flickering without artifacts does it even at 120Hz.

Still waiting for the new DP cable, I tried connecting the monitor to an old laptop via HDMI2.0 cable. The laptop in question is an HP 255 G5 with amd igpu. The laptop has linux mint on it and it detects the monitor and the maximum frequency reported is 144Hz. And the monitor performs excellently. So if you want, you can bypass the monitor as the problem.

New DP cable arrives, I uninstall the drivers with DDU, apply the cable and reinstall the drivers, nothing changes...

Always surfing the net I find some discussions that link this kind of phenomena to problems that usually arise when overclocking GPUs and then instability problems... So I go to techpowerup and I see the frequencies: the core clock at 1807MHz while the memory clock at 1875Mhz...

I immediately remember seeing in OCCT a while back a frequency that was touching 1900Mhz and something, so I repeat the test and as you can see from the screen below, the core frequency is almost 100Mhz higher than claimed, and I reiterate that I seem to have seen it above 1900Mhz but not above 2000...

Now I don't know if something like this is normal, since I have NEVER done any kind of overclocking to the board and seeing a boost that goes beyond that smells a bit fishy to me. Besides, the phenomenon of flickering + artifacting with chunks of the screen shrinking into a gray and white checkerboard I have only seen them in OCCT with core clocked at 500Mhz...
B9b26Y0.png

With kombustor running, the core clock actually touches 1912Mhz, but no flickering/artefacts are occurring
MRERwNA.png

In the meantime, I also disabled accelerationHW in windows, but nothing changes.
The situation, as far as I'm concerned and single research leads me to think more of a GPU problem than a monitor/refresh rate problem, but not being an expert nor one with experience I wouldn't really know what to think. If there are any new developments I will continue to update the thread, hoping someone can also give me their opinion about it...

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024
easy way to determine if it is display or other hardware;
try a different display(monitor or TV).

if the issue continues using a different output than it is the system itself and the not the display being used.
So this time I tried the monitor again using the HDMI input, the corresponding HDMI 2.0 cable and again my HP G5 255 equipped with AMD E2-7110 APU with Radeon R2 graphics card @1.8 GHz, this time however I tried it with windows. This time around with AMD drivers installed, both with VRR on and off, the flickering problem recurs...

These days I start the warranty procedure, but a doubt arises, which is:
did I get the faulty monitor, or am I responsible (since I don't have a really decent electrical system)?

Mar 30, 2024
if you haven't tried a different display then you don't know if it is the screen itself or the system's graphical output.
I tried an LG TV, which doesn't go above 60Hz and didn't give any problems.... I only have an old samsung monitor capped at 60Hz with vga input and I can only use it with adapter, I don't think it's good for testing :/

The fact that the monitor gave me the same problem on a different pc set to 120Hz I think is more than enough evidence to point to the monitor as the culprit.

In my ignorance I think that if it was the system that was the problem, I should have had problems on the AKAI TV as well, which is not the case (perhaps precisely because it does not go above 60Hz.

In any case, the monitor return was a success. Just in case, if you recommend a good monitor for my system, I can buy it and try it out (in case then, unfortunately, the problem occurs again, I can always send it back), moreover I would like to inquire about devices that would allow me to protect monitors and pc from power surges and blackouts

ps. in OP I forgot to write that on the main PC I ran memtest86 as well and there were no negative results.

Mar 30, 2024
Just in case, if you recommend a good monitor for my system, I can buy it and try it out (in case then, unfortunately, the problem occurs again, I can always send it back), moreover I would like to inquire about devices that would allow me to protect monitors and pc from power surges and blackouts
Bump?

TRENDING THREADS