[SOLVED] Flickering screen with Freesync above 60hz

Oct 15, 2019
Hello everyone, not sure if this is ok to post here or should be in displays...

Heres my Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K - with msi game boost on
GPU: AMD RX 5700 - MSI afterburner to slightly overclock and monitor
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - xmp is activated
MBD: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B51)

Here's my issue, any help would be appreciated. I can't find any solutions.

I just bough a new freesync monitor that supports 200hz sceptre C305B-200UN

when using freesync on DP over 60hz i get a random screen flicker, almost like my GPU is dying.
But if i switch to hdmi I can run at 75hz (doesn't give me an option to go higher) - I prefer to use DP as i feel it has a crisper image.

My goal is to at least run 120hz cleanly - would like to achieve 144 or 200 if possible

Things i have tried.
wipe all drivers and redownload
return to a previous version of Radeon Adrenalin -19.9.1 - I'm currently at 19.9.2
(the 19.10.1 made everything worse)
Reinstall windows- did a complete reset
turn on and off everything recommend on AMD forums, from windows settings to radeon settings
I do use Xbox game bar overlay, but completely dissable this as a test
tried all settings on/off in the Sceptre monitor OSD.
I also used a TLC ROKU smart tv as a monitor for a little bit and had flickering issues when using the 120hz setting. (again, couldnt go over 60hz

Again any help will be much appreciated. I just built this computer and bought this monitor and I dont want to have to dish out more money to switch to INTEL

Thank you.

UPDATE: 10/24
Found out the issue was MSI Afterburner.
I also updated to 19.10.2

About to play some new COD, will update again if not running MSI actually affect the performance.

Thanks @boju For your help with this.

-
G0D3M1S

Last edited:
Solution
Oh that's a shame. If it's not the cable and hopefully it's not the monitor, it may still be driver related. I've searched 144Hz flicker issues with 5700 and it appears others are having issues. Some relate it to enhanced sync in Radeon settings, if on can cause problems. Im not sure if this setting is enabled by default though. Have a look and play around with the settings.

I FINALLY FIXED IT!!!!!

It looks like it was MSI Afterburner causing the flicker.
I also updated to 19.10.2 (Recommended for COD: MW 2019)
Running at 200hz w/ FreeSync on and clean Runs
Will update post after some testing on COD

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Most likely the DP cable. I had issues with 3m cable running over 120Hz there'd be around 2min intervals where display would flicker on and off. 1m cable the monitor came with was fine at 144Hz. Length might not have been the issue but probably quality of cable, there are plenty of dodgy cables out there.

Did you buy the cable? If so, buy a Club3D HBR3 cable, around 12$. Club3D are Vesa certified brand.

Edit. Does monitor still flicker over 120Hz if Freesync is off?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019
Most likely the DP cable. I had issues with 3m cable running over 120Hz there'd be around 2min intervals where display would flicker on and off. 1m cable the monitor came with was fine at 144Hz. Length might not have been the issue but probably quality of cable, there are plenty of dodgy cables out there.

Did you buy the cable? If so, buy a Club3D HBR3 cable, around 12$. Club3D are Vesa certified brand.

Edit. Does monitor still flicker over 120Hz if Freesync is off?

Thank you Boju for the quick response.
I have not tried a new Display cord. will purchase your recommended one right now.

Yes, it still flickers with freesync off.

Also to note, the intervals seem to be between 20-60 seconds. with ocassional 90 second flicker delay. there isnt any set pattern.
I would know... i sat watching and timing it for an hour.... as much fun as watching paint dry..

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oct 15, 2019
Haha

Yeah, sounds really much like the issue i had. Did you buy the cable or did it come with the monitor?

https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-CAC-2067-DisplayPort-Cable-3-28ft/dp/B076D6GGG8?th=1&psc=1

Just in case length can be a problem with high hertz, if you can, no longer than 2m.

I did not buy the cable it is the original one that came with the monitor.

That is indeed the one I just bought. Glad I found the same one.

ALSO: The monitor only supports at max HD - 2560 x 1080. so i shouldnt have an issue with getting 120+hz since I'm not running 4k. (or at least this was my thought..)

Oct 15, 2019
Strange, usually monitor cables sourced by the manufacturer are certified and tested. Time will tell.

Cable's ability to transmit high resolution is important but not as important as high Hz.

The cable is to arrive tomorrow. I will update on whether this worked or not.

Thank you!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh that's a shame. If it's not the cable and hopefully it's not the monitor, it may still be driver related. I've searched 144Hz flicker issues with 5700 and it appears others are having issues. Some relate it to enhanced sync in Radeon settings, if on can cause problems. Im not sure if this setting is enabled by default though. Have a look and play around with the settings.

Oct 15, 2019

I FINALLY FIXED IT!!!!!

It looks like it was MSI Afterburner causing the flicker.
I also updated to 19.10.2 (Recommended for COD: MW 2019)
Running at 200hz w/ FreeSync on and clean Runs
Will update post after some testing on COD

Solution