Distinguished
Nov 21, 2015
Hello everybody,
I have a laptop with Windows 10 Pro installed, with the following specs:
Intel Core i5 2450M Quad Core, @2.5GHz
nvidia GT 540M (slightly overclocked)
Intel 300GB SSD 320 Series
16GB RAM

I remembered using an older application, called Flying Model Simulator, a couple of years ago on a computer running Windows XP Pro. I have since gotten rid of that machine, and I wanted to run the application on this laptop.

I have installed the game from the official website, (http://modelsimulator.com/), and it appeared to install correctly. However, when I opened up the app for the first time, I got an error saying D3DRM.DLL not loaded. A quick Google Search brought me to a page for an application that looked correct, with a DLL download. I copied that DLL from the extracted file to the correct application directory, and then tried loading the app. It gave me a weird graphics glitch, and wouldn't run. I tried this both with compatibility mode running, and without. I am running a 64 bit copy of Windows.

Thanks for your help!
-Sam

Solution
good question, considering the program dates back to 2004, I would suggest to right click and run your installation again as administrator and run the game in the same manner, windows 10, doesn't handle some older call to access/utilize some parts of the O/S without it administrative request user made.

I would make it run as windows XP 16bit or 32 bits., and even then I have lots of doubts this will ever run properly, and since the project looks like it was abandoned by the author I doubt you will get much of support in getting it fixed.

other options would be get VM Ware and create a windows xp virtual desktop and run it from that location. THAT may work better than trying to hack your way into making windows 10 accept to run this...
good question, considering the program dates back to 2004, I would suggest to right click and run your installation again as administrator and run the game in the same manner, windows 10, doesn't handle some older call to access/utilize some parts of the O/S without it administrative request user made.

I would make it run as windows XP 16bit or 32 bits., and even then I have lots of doubts this will ever run properly, and since the project looks like it was abandoned by the author I doubt you will get much of support in getting it fixed.

other options would be get VM Ware and create a windows xp virtual desktop and run it from that location. THAT may work better than trying to hack your way into making windows 10 accept to run this old program.

Solution