Question Focusrite ASIO with Ableton causing "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION" BSOD ?

Apr 8, 2023
Hello! I have a Focusrite 2i2 (1st gen) that I've always used with Ableton just fine. However, I recently reinstalled Windows on an SSD, reinstalled Ableton, and when I switched the audio device to ASIO, boom, BSOD. Now, every time I try to open it I get the same blue screen error, and I'm desperate because I need Ableton for work!
I saw a similar problem from 2016 that was solved in this forum [this one], and I really hope that someone here can help me out!
That's the latest file that was on "C:\Windows\Minidump": https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bPrFORhopGps0eng-PbewJN_c5Cnn2_2/view?usp=share_link
Let me know if there's anything that will help investigate, thanks!

Edit: I ran the complete dump file through WinDbg and got this:

Code:
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL
or above.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000001, The system cumulatively spent an extended period of time at
    DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
Arg2: 0000000000001e00, The watchdog period (in ticks).
Arg3: fffff8073f4fb320, cast to nt!DPC_WATCHDOG_GLOBAL_TRIAGE_BLOCK, which contains
    additional information regarding the cumulative timeout
Arg4: 0000000000000000

Debugging Details:
------------------

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\emupia2k.sys, Win32 error 0n2
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\CTHWIUT.SYS, Win32 error 0n2
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ctaud2k.sys, Win32 error 0n2
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ctprxy2k.sys, Win32 error 0n2

What does this mean? What do I do with these .sys files? Any ideas?

Last edited:

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hello! I have a Focusrite 2i2 (1st gen) that I've always used with Ableton just fine. However, I recently reinstalled Windows on an SSD, reinstalled Ableton, and when I switched the audio device to ASIO, boom, BSOD. Now, every time I try to open it I get the same blue screen error, and I'm desperate because I need Ableton for work!
I saw a similar problem from 2016 that was solved in this forum [this one], and I really hope that someone here can help me out!
That's the latest file that was on "C:\Windows\Minidump": https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bPrFORhopGps0eng-PbewJN_c5Cnn2_2/view?usp=share_link
Let me know if there's anything that will help investigate, thanks!
I’d say to try these commands firstly… open an Administrator Command Prompt window (search for CMD in the search bar). Once that’s open, copy/paste each command and wait for it to finish scanning. Fair warning, the second one will require a reboot and could potentially take a while.

Code:
sfc /scannow
chkdsk c: /f /r

Apr 8, 2023
I’d say to try these commands firstly… open an Administrator Command Prompt window (search for CMD in the search bar). Once that’s open, copy/paste each command and wait for it to finish scanning. Fair warning, the second one will require a reboot and could potentially take a while.

Code:
sfc /scannow
chkdsk c: /f /r

Thanks! I ran sfc /scannow and got the "found corrupted files and succesfully repaired them" message.
By the way, I have now edited the original post because I think I could maybe have found the cause of the problem, is there a way to check if these drivers are still corrupted without opening the program to get the error again?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Thanks! I ran sfc /scannow and got the "found corrupted files and succesfully repaired them" message.
By the way, I have now edited the original post because I think I could maybe have found the cause of the problem, is there a way to check if these drivers are still corrupted without opening the program to get the error again?
The easiest way to check if they are still corrupted would be to run the software again… If they are corrupt, it might be good to reinstall them or see if there is an updated version.

Apr 8, 2023
The easiest way to check if they are still corrupted would be to run the software again… If they are corrupt, it might be good to reinstall them or see if there is an updated version.

I got the blue screen again :( same error
However, I opened the newly created dump and got this:
Code:
or above.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, A single DPC or ISR exceeded its time allotment. The offending
    component can usually be identified with a stack trace.
Arg2: 0000000000000501, The DPC time count (in ticks).
Arg3: 0000000000000500, The DPC time allotment (in ticks).
Arg4: fffff806078fb320, cast to nt!DPC_WATCHDOG_GLOBAL_TRIAGE_BLOCK, which contains
    additional information regarding this single DPC timeout

Any ideas?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I got the blue screen again :( same error
However, I opened the newly created dump and got this:
Code:
or above.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, A single DPC or ISR exceeded its time allotment. The offending
    component can usually be identified with a stack trace.
Arg2: 0000000000000501, The DPC time count (in ticks).
Arg3: 0000000000000500, The DPC time allotment (in ticks).
Arg4: fffff806078fb320, cast to nt!DPC_WATCHDOG_GLOBAL_TRIAGE_BLOCK, which contains
    additional information regarding this single DPC timeout

Any ideas?
Unfortunately I’m not very familiar with how your software works. However, I’d expect that the driver needs to be replaced with a new one. Is everything up to date with the application?