Folder/File Permissions after reinstallation

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Hi,

I've few unclear doubts.

Sinerio :
There are few HDD in server. The Data Harddisk is moved to other
machine having installed Win2003 (out of office premises).
(Note: I'm not using Active Directory)

What will happen at the new installation place in following cases
1] If I've given some permission for a single user of Win2003 and the
same name of user is exising on the new server too.

2] If I've given some permission for a single group of Win2003 and the
same name of group is exising on the new server too.

Your reply and any reference to material online is appreciated.
Thank you.

Jitu

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

If you move hard drive formatted with NTFS to another server, all NTFS
security descriptors remain intact. That means:
1) Any of the built-in groups and security principals such as
Administrators, Power Users, built-in Administrator account etc remain in
the ACLs and visible as usual
2) Any manually configured security principals (such as local accounts or
groups from the old server, AND any domain accounts IF new server is not a
member of the domain in the same forest) remain in the ACL but will be
represented by their SID instead of name (because there would be no way to
resolve sid into name at that point)

Regardless of the above, administrator would be able to take ownership of
any data on that drive. The only thing you should take into account is EFS.
If you have encrypted data on that drive, you better decrypt it before
moving the drive itself.

--
Dmitry Korolyov [d__k@removethispart.mail.ru]
MVP: Windows Server - Directory Services

<jitudavda@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> I've few unclear doubts.
>

> Sinerio :
> There are few HDD in server. The Data Harddisk is moved to other
> machine having installed Win2003 (out of office premises).
> (Note: I'm not using Active Directory)
>

> What will happen at the new installation place in following cases
> 1] If I've given some permission for a single user of Win2003 and the
> same name of user is exising on the new server too.
>

> 2] If I've given some permission for a single group of Win2003 and the
> same name of group is exising on the new server too.
>

> Your reply and any reference to material online is appreciated.
> Thank you.
>

> Jitu

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Thank you very much for your answer. I really understood it. I did the
test also during this period.

Thanks again.

Jitu