Folder wont delete...help?

On my harddrive I have an empty folder and when I try to delete it I get the
message:

"Cannot read from the source file or disk"

If i double click on it to view the content it give an error message:
".....refers to a location that is unavailable....:

I have rebooted with no change.

The folder was created by a Creative application for MP3 audio. All the
applications are close.

How can I delete this unused folder?

thanks

jad

os?
boot to safe mode or an windows startup disk and boot to dos

can you change the name?

"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On my harddrive I have an empty folder and when I try to delete it I get
the
> message:
>
> "Cannot read from the source file or disk"
>
> If i double click on it to view the content it give an error message:
> ".....refers to a location that is unavailable....:
>
> I have rebooted with no change.
>
> The folder was created by a Creative application for MP3 audio. All the
> applications are close.
>
> How can I delete this unused folder?
>
> thanks

sorry...its XP.....I cant change the name.....i tried that.

I can try safe mode and see if I can delete...thats a good idea.

thanks

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> os?
> boot to safe mode or an windows startup disk and boot to dos
>
> can you change the name?
>

> "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On my harddrive I have an empty folder and when I try to delete it I get
> the
>> message:
>>
>> "Cannot read from the source file or disk"
>>
>> If i double click on it to view the content it give an error message:
>> ".....refers to a location that is unavailable....:
>>
>> I have rebooted with no change.
>>
>> The folder was created by a Creative application for MP3 audio. All the
>> applications are close.
>>
>> How can I delete this unused folder?
>>
>> thanks

I found this great little program for those riduclous files that won't
delete. "In use by another program, etc." Called Move on Boot...
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

> sorry...its XP.....I cant change the name.....i tried that.
>
> I can try safe mode and see if I can delete...thats a good idea.
>
> thanks
>
> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> os?
>> boot to safe mode or an windows startup disk and boot to dos
>>
>> can you change the name?
>>

>> "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> On my harddrive I have an empty folder and when I try to delete it I get
>> the
>>> message:
>>>
>>> "Cannot read from the source file or disk"
>>>
>>> If i double click on it to view the content it give an error message:
>>> ".....refers to a location that is unavailable....:
>>>
>>> I have rebooted with no change.
>>>
>>> The folder was created by a Creative application for MP3 audio. All the
>>> applications are close.
>>>
>>> How can I delete this unused folder?
>>>
>>> thanks

mickey4paws

Distinguished
May 16, 2005

Kill Bill wrote:
> I found this great little program for those riduclous files that won't
> delete. "In use by another program, etc." Called Move on Boot...
> http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

There is also a program called Hijack This that also can delete files
on boot. Don't have a link for it, but I'm sure you can find it
through Google.

jad

hijack only removes the registry entries for files, not the actual file
itself.

> hijack only removes the registry entries for files, not the actual file
> itself.

which would then allow it to be deleted?

jad

"DCA" <dca860MAPS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> hijack only removes the registry entries for files, not the actual file
>> itself.
>>
> which would then allow it to be deleted?

possibly...if it actually gets a chance to kill the source from being loaded
at startup. Most likely it will be a DLL and being hooked to a BHO. This
wont stop the DLL from being loaded. safe mode works 90% of the time.
Alternately it could be loaded from win or sys. ini this could be loaded
even in safemode. Then the path and file name needs to be remembered and a
dos disk (+ntfs 3rd party driver if needed) and a deltree/erase would be in
order. Long file names then come into play and that can be a PITA. The idea
of a Os that boots from CD(linux) is an advantage, as is a dual booting
system.

w1ld1

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
i am having a similar problem, with mine though, i recovered, and i still retained the old documents and settings files, which are now inaccessible to everything that i've tried, safemode, a few programs, though not dos, cause i can't remember how to delete files properly