News Folding@Home Now More Powerful Than World's Top 7 Supercomputers, Combined

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Unfortunately this made my new PC build go nuclear too. I just built a Ryzen 5 3600 system with ample cooling and within 30 seconds of running the app at medium settings my PC overheated and shutdown. Gaming at max settings and everything stays a reasonable 50C but 30 seconds in with this app it hit 90C and shut down. I wish I knew why.
Folding is much harder on your computer than any game.
Your computer might be great for gaming, but it takes a much better cooling system to run 100% load 24/7/365.
Most stock/OEM cooling solutions are not up to the task. They were designed for gaming /general computing, which does not tax the CPU/GPU @100% load.
If you are overheating you need better case air flow and an aftermarket CPU cooler.
Most aftermarket GPU coolers are ok, if you have enough case air flow to get the heat out of the case, otherwise you are trying to col it with hot recycled case air.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
You can clearly see connection problems and failure to connect messages. SO - it's definitely not "utter BS" as you say!!!
My point there was it's not the contest that's doing it. That's what I claimed was BS. Just look at the points totals of the Tom's and Anandtech teams and you should be able to tell that the contest, alone, isn't what's overwhelming their servers.

These contests are pretty much annual, as far as I can recall, and they don't normally cause such issues. That's why I called that claim BS.

The real reason is that everyone is trying to help with COVID-19.

What's the take-away here? DON'T Fold unless you have powerful Vid Cards - Because you're messing with peeps that have the correct resources that can really help.
Yes, that's basically what I was saying - use a powerful GPU.

Screw your contest until AFTER Stamford can upgrade their system.
Canceling the contest won't make a difference. What you really want is to cancel the virus.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Folding is much harder on your computer than any game.
Yeah, games don't tend to peg the CPU, unless it's really underpowered, or you're trying to run super-high framerates at a low resolution.

Still, I'm a bit surprised if a CPU reaches shutdown temps with a stock cooler, at stock settings, at normal room temperature. That sounds like there might be an issue with the thermal compound or case ventilation.

Yeah, games don't tend to peg the CPU, unless it's really underpowered, or you're trying to run super-high framerates at a low resolution.

Still, I'm a bit surprised if a CPU reaches shutdown temps with a stock cooler, at stock settings, at normal room temperature. That sounds like there might be an issue with the thermal compound or case ventilation.
Think off folding as highly optimized code that keeps more parts of the CPU/GPU active at all times.
Very much like benchmarks or torture tests.
Try running Furmark/MSI Kombuster and Prime 95 on a 24/7/365 loop and results will be similar to Folding.

Stock heatsink designs and cheap or high quality silent case fans do not move enough air through the case for sufficient cooling.
Then we have the problem of most case designs have mounts for 120/140/200mm fans. All of the extra holes allow recirculation of some heated case air.
Now add on the fact that most high end video cards dump almost all of their heat inside the case. Most case designs suck the hot air from the video card past the processor and out the top and back. So you are using preheated air to cool the processor.

I've been folding since 2004 and stock cpu heatsinks have never worked well unless you are just using it to feed Nvidia video cards and not fold on it. I have used a few but modified with a larger , higher CFM fans. AMDs original wraith with a 90mm fan worked well at the time for X4 and X6 processors but not so well with the FX 8??? series they came with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zizo007
Well, I have been doing F@H for over 12 years, and have more than a Billion folding points. It takes some serious dedication to do folding. What the writers at Toms Hardware are NOT telling you is that your system's temperature will rise - especially if you use more than a single Video card! Your electricity bill will definitely be higher!... In addition to all that, you must remember that most Universities in the USA (yes, that's where Stamford is located) ... well, they are CLOSED due to the virus scare! That means that it takes longer to get Folding Work Units downloaded to you. WHY? They are understaffed during this time, and their servers are way over-taxed because of this contest that was started by Tom's and Anandtech. If you really REALLY want to help - GREAT. But remember, the more people trying to get Work Units, the more taxing it is on Stamford's system.
Oh, and their hype about the Corona Virus folding??? The truth is, that there's ONLY SIX Corona Virus Work Units as of Yesterday (they didn't research that). So, you may NEVER see a corona virus job running on your system - because there's tens of thousands of other jobs that are sitting on their server!!!

Good Luck!!!

*Stanford

I've personally knocked out around 15 Covid-19 work units since Sunday.

Reactions: bit_user

Giroro

Splendid
They use computer simulations to find new and better medications. Folding@Home probably does the same.

I'm not sure who the they is, if not folding@home. I'm not even saying this is a bad thing -every little bit helps. Is a little bit enough right now?
But if we are going to give basically all of the world's computing power to a single organization, 'probably' isn't really good enough. Are they making the best use of that compute potential, and if not is there anybody can do better? Just basic scrutiny, really.

I mean I assume they probably have gotten some kind of real results or made some breakthrough in the past since they are still around... I just think people should know how effective this will be before we all preemptively start patting each other on the back.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
What diseases have they cured?
I don't think it was ever promised to be a magic bullet. The way to look at it is as a tool for researchers.

I mean, you could also ask what diseases were cured by electron microscopes and you might just get a blank stare from researchers. But that doesn't mean their work wouldn't be seriously impaired, if you removed them.

The wikipedia article cites a number of examples where it's been useful or instrumental:

Judging by the dates of those citations, I'd say it probably hasn't been updated in about 8 or 9 years.

Here's their COVID-19 page:

Here's the current list of the diseases they're working on:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I just think people should know how effective this will be before we all preemptively start patting each other on the back.
I think you just don't like seeing people pat each other on the back. We're not talking about a social media like-fest, this is people actually contributing something of value: electricity and compute power.

You don't appear to have even tried to answer your own question. You just walked into a room, farted, and let other people open the windows.

I look at it this way.
We all contribute what and when we can.
I donate to folding, Shriners, our community food bank and am that guy on the side of the road changing someones flat tire, or picking up a hitchiker.
I have been blessed with good luck ,but I am in no means rich.
Also a computer nerd who tinkers and fixes everything .
Will this bring a cure?
Who knows? but the possibility is there.
but at the same time it will increase scientist understanding of how proteins work, which can be a good thing all by itself.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Dude! ... There is no FUD. I tried to post on Anand's site yesterday also, and it was almost immediately deleted. So, you're right - they don't like losing contests. I Fold for a company that pays money to their members to fold, But, the real reason is because I'm donating compute time in memory to 4 members of my family that have died with some of those diseases that are specifically mentioned on the Stamford site. Last time I checked on Stamford's site (Saturday), there were only SIX COVID-19 work Units. I am in my 70's, and if I can find it, it should be cake to you!

If I could upload a screen shot of my folding, you can definitely see just how much the COMM traffic has affected Stamford's servers. I used to do about 1.6 Million points per day. Right after this contest was announced, there were four straight days of ZERO points. I can barely make half of that nowadays

There was also another site that called attention to your contest here that tried to tell it's readers that you could get PRIORITY on the COVID jobs. I posted a nasty response to them, and they took their whole article down. With that said, this virus affecting the whole world is serious, and people trying to fold with just CPU's are taxing Stamford's system. You can prove this to yourself by simply going to your LOG tab on the application and look at the COMM messages. You can clearly see connection problems and failure to connect messages. SO - it's definitely not "utter BS" as you say!!!

What's the take-away here? DON'T Fold unless you have powerful Vid Cards - Because you're messing with peeps that have the correct resources that can really help. Screw your contest until AFTER Stamford can upgrade their system.
For someone who is such an expert on Folding@home, you would think you knew the difference between Stamford University in Bangladesh (had to google this, I'd never heard of Stamford University) and Stanford University in California, who started the folding@home project. Unless you were talking about Stamford, Connecticut, which would make even less sense.

I'm no expert on Folding, only been doing it a few days. However, I've seen multiple Covid-19 work units in those few days, so I don't think they are as rare as you are trying to make them out to be.

I was literally about to start watercooling my system but then the quarantine hit.. Now I'm running FAH on a 3900X and 2080 Ti with stock coolers and no income coming in to buy water cooling. If I had better cooling I could dedicate all 24 CPU threads instead of only 6 to FAH since it would crash my system due to heat.

Anyone else also having instances where the WU for the GPU would send the data before reaching 100% completion? It does it sometimes for all types of WU categories.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Now I'm running FAH on a 3900X and 2080 Ti with stock coolers and no income coming in to buy water cooling.
Sounds like the government is about to start cutting checks. That said, I wouldn't spend it until the money actually shows up in my bank account... assuming you don't have more pressing financial needs.Even if you don't, you might consider a more economical aftermarket cooling solution and invest the rest. I'm guessing the market will probably bottom out, in a month or two.

Sounds like the government is about to start cutting checks. That said, I wouldn't spend it until the money actually shows up in my bank account... assuming you don't have more pressing financial needs.Even if you don't, you might consider a more economical aftermarket cooling solution and invest the rest. I'm guessing the market will probably bottom out, in a month or two.

Seems like prices for everything is going down despite what every tech reviewer was saying. It's paradoxically a good and bad time to buy computer parts.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Seems like prices for everything is going down despite what every tech reviewer was saying. It's paradoxically a good and bad time to buy computer parts.
Well, some of the mid-range and high-end gamer parts might be suffering from a demand drop-off, but anything people need to work from home (laptops, web cams, bluetooth headsets) are probably somewhat hard to find.

Once the government checks start arriving, I expect to see a demand surge for even gamer gear.

Mar 22, 2020
Dude! ... There is no FUD. I tried to post on Anand's site yesterday also, and it was almost immediately deleted. So, you're right - they don't like losing contests. I Fold for a company that pays money to their members to fold, But, the real reason is because I'm donating compute time in memory to 4 members of my family that have died with some of those diseases that are specifically mentioned on the Stamford site. Last time I checked on Stamford's site (Saturday), there were only SIX COVID-19 work Units. I am in my 70's, and if I can find it, it should be cake to you!

If I could upload a screen shot of my folding, you can definitely see just how much the COMM traffic has affected Stamford's servers. I used to do about 1.6 Million points per day. Right after this contest was announced, there were four straight days of ZERO points. I can barely make half of that nowadays

There was also another site that called attention to your contest here that tried to tell it's readers that you could get PRIORITY on the COVID jobs. I posted a nasty response to them, and they took their whole article down. With that said, this virus affecting the whole world is serious, and people trying to fold with just CPU's are taxing Stamford's system. You can prove this to yourself by simply going to your LOG tab on the application and look at the COMM messages. You can clearly see connection problems and failure to connect messages. SO - it's definitely not "utter BS" as you say!!!

What's the take-away here? DON'T Fold unless you have powerful Vid Cards - Because you're messing with peeps that have the correct resources that can really help. Screw your contest until AFTER Stamford can upgrade their system.

Contribute to Rosetta@home instead if you don't have a good video card. Rosetta is CPU only.

Reactions: bit_user

Giroro

Splendid
I think you just don't like seeing people pat each other on the back. We're not talking about a social media like-fest, this is people actually contributing something of value: electricity and compute power.

You don't appear to have even tried to answer your own question. You just walked into a room, farted, and let other people open the windows.
Why are you getting so defensive? These are ridiculously basic questions.
When I ask my company for compute resources, the first thing they ask is to justify why I should have them over someone else. I have to come prepared with an answer, not an insult.

I agree that electricity and compute power is valuable, that's why I think it shouldn't be needlessly squandered, and why I think people need to understand what they are donating to before they give it away.
I'm encouraging the most extremely basic level of skepticism for other people, not myself. The questions are rhetorical. It's more polite than pointing out facts, since the project is making people under house arrest feel good, like they're reclaiming control of some aspect of their lives.

People are out there saying Folding@Home cures diseases, they don't.
They are saying Folding@Home will cure Covid-19, it won't - Because Folding@Home doesn't cure diseases. That isn't what they do.
They are saying Folding@Home needs more compute power, even though the project literally can't use it right now until they fix their back-end.
Donating money and resources to the organization isn't a bad thing, the research will be nice to have eventually. A long term project to better understand the disease is a good thing, but we don't yet know if its the best thing. Covid-19 is definitely taking resources away from other priorities. That priority shift it isn't going to get anybody out of their houses any sooner. The roadblocks to validating and distributing the several proposed vaccines are almost entirely bureaucratic at this point- put into place by those forcing everybody at home in the first place.
A huge panicked mob of people effectively DDoSing F@H for 2 weeks before permanently dropping off the project isn't actually going to help anybody do anything.
If you're stuck at home with cabin fever, there's more important things you can do to regain control in your life. You could hunt for a new job to replace the one you just lost, or call your local representatives or governor to let them know how you really feel about the messed up situation they put you in. Plus there are still ways out to get outside (for now) - you could borrow a dog to walk, or make several small trips to they grocery store throughout the day to buy individual items instead of getting everything at once.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Why are you getting so defensive?
Because you act all innocent, but you clearly asked that question not out of curiosity or to educate yourself, but to spread doubt and uncertainty of the cause. If you were genuinely curious, you didn't even take the first step to find answers. So, that was not what I consider a constructive contribution to the discussion. I get the feeling you're someone who likes to piss on people's parade. And now you seem to be playing me for a fool.

When I ask my company for compute resources, the first thing they ask is to justify why I should have them over someone else. I have to come prepared with an answer, not an insult.
That's not analogous. They ask you, because you're the one who knows best why you need it, and you're the one who's asking.

I agree that electricity and compute power is valuable, that's why I think it shouldn't be needlessly squandered,
Yeah, me too. So, if you have doubts about the project, why not do your own investigation. If, after that, you find concerns you want to raise or things you want to discuss, then it would be appropriate to inject them into the discussion.

why I think people need to understand what they are donating to before they give it away.
I call BS on that. If you really wanted people to understand the project's track record, then you'd have researched it and then posted. Again, the only point of your post could be to spread uncertainty and doubt.

I'm encouraging the most extremely basic level of skepticism
No, you're promoting reflexive cynicism, which is toxic.

The questions are rhetorical. It's more polite than pointing out facts,
If your concern were really to avoid wasting resources, then you'd focus on the facts of the matter and not rhetorical arguments.

since the project is making people under house arrest feel good, like they're reclaiming control of some aspect of their lives.
Oh no! What a terrible thing!

If the project really were a sham or a waste, exploiting people's fears and sense of helplessness, I'd be right there with you. But that's a strong accusation that you haven't even done the first thing to demonstrate.

People are out there saying Folding@Home cures diseases, they don't.
Prove it. Prove that no research that ever contributed to understanding or mitigating the diseases they've addressed meaningfully benefited from F@H. If you're unwilling or unable to prove it, then you'd better retract that statement.

They are saying Folding@Home will cure Covid-19,
Nobody is saying that. You're arguing against a strawman, which just shows you're being disingenuous.

They are saying Folding@Home needs more compute power, even though the project literally can't use it right now until they fix their back-end.
It's not broken - it just needs to be scaled up. Something like that can likely be migrated to use cloud resources, which could happen quite quickly. In the meantime, you don't want to turn away folks.

Right now, if they can't utilize 100% of the folders' resources, that's not really a problem, right? If they have way more folders than before, that's still an increase in real throughput, even if they're unable to utilize 100% of what's available.

Finally, it's not really wasting resources if they are idling some of the time, when they were idliing 100%, before.

A long term project to better understand the disease is a good thing, but we don't yet know if its the best thing.
Okay, tell me which of their COVID-19 projects aren't worth pursuing now, and which should receive higher priority.

You're clearly arguing against something you don't understand, because you didn't even try to understand it, since that wasn't relevant to your goal.

Covid-19 is definitely taking resources away from other priorities.
They have other work units, as well. And if you get new folders involved to fight COVID-19, some of them are going to stick around after it fades into the background.

That priority shift it isn't going to get anybody out of their houses any sooner.
How do you even know that? Really, tell me which of their projects do & don't have potential to meaningfully contribute to treatments, vaccines, and more selective mitigations.

The roadblocks to validating and distributing the several proposed vaccines are almost entirely bureaucratic at this point-
That's not true. At all. It takes time to conduct trials and get the data needed to determine safety and efficacy of vaccines, and then it takes time to scale up production. Nobody working on a vaccine is twiddling their thumbs or jumping through unnecessary hoops, right now.

Moreover, vaccines aren't even the only medical intervention being investigated. There are numerous other antivirals, anti-inflammatories, and other medications being investigated for treatment, to help prevent people dying and reduce the strain on the medical system.

Also, there are basic questions still being investigated about things like the methods of spread and around pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic transmission. Better understanding of these aspects can lead to better public health guidance, which can potentially lead to more freedom and resumption of economic activity.

A huge panicked mob of people effectively DDoSing F@H for 2 weeks before permanently dropping off the project isn't actually going to help anybody do anything.
If that were true, then they would be telling people to back off, and they're not.

If you're stuck at home with cabin fever, there's more important things you can do to regain control in your life.
If all you're concerned with is regaining control of your life, then you're really missing the point. Contributing to a project like this isn't necessarily a selfish or a self-interested act. Most people do it for mostly altruistic reasons, even if they could potentially stand to benefit, as well.

You could hunt for a new job to replace the one you just lost, or call your local representatives or governor to let them know how you really feel about the messed up situation they put you in. Plus there are still ways out to get outside (for now) - you could borrow a dog to walk, or
How are any of those things mutually exclusive with firing up F@H?

And I'm surprised you think simply complaining to politicians is going to accomplish anything. I mean, if it were to tell your House member to vote for the bill the Senate just passed, then sure. But that's actually telling them to do something specific, not just whining.

make several small trips to they grocery store throughout the day to buy individual items instead of getting everything at once.
That is probably the worst thing you've posted, in this whole thread. Every trip to the store involves a greater risk of transmission. This is actually harmful advice, counter to the whole mentality of having people stay at home, and I hope no one takes it.

People should go to the store as few times as possible, and ideally alone. If multiple people from your household all want to go to the store, then take turns, but keep the total number of trips as low as possible. Don't abuse the privilege of being able to shop, or else you're more likely to provoke a complete lockdown. It's not a punitive thing - it's just one of the few ways to reduce transmission, right now.

Aside from that, I'll just reiterate that you seem to confuse skepticism with cynicism. Beyond that, I don't know if you're jealous or just like to bring people down, but you're definitely not being constructive in any way. Not towards efficient use of resources or looking out for people's well-being. I suggest you think harder about your own motives, what you want to contribute, here, and the best ways to do that.

Overall, I'm just sad for you. You're a smart guy, but that post was just unhealthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unolocogringo

willie_t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Some of you have asked about which jobs are the COVID-19 jobs on the Stamford site. Here they are:
SARS-CoV-2 RBD domain in complex with human ACE2 receptor (PDBID: 6vsb, 6acg)

: Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) receptor binding domain in complex with human receptor ACE2. atoms: 165550, credit: 15396
11742: Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) protease in complex with an inhibitor. atoms: 62227, credit: 9405
11743: Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) protease – potential drug target. atoms: 62180, credit: 9405
11744: Coronavirus SARS-CoV (SARS causing virus) receptor binding domain trapped by a SARS-CoV S230 antibody. atoms: 109578, credit: 7608
11745: Coronavirus SARS-CoV (SARS causing virus) receptor binding domain mutated to the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) trapped by a SARS-CoV S230 antibody. atoms: 110370, credit: 7685
11746: Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) receptor binding domain in complex with human receptor ACE2 (alternative structure to 11741). atoms: 182699, credit: 16615

And one other thing. I heard a rumor that one company (that used to do SETI) donated 6,000 Video cards to Stamford to bolster their efforts! That was the glitch that I probably thought was the F@H contest. It has taken Stamford over 2 weeks to get most of those cards placed into their system. Since about noon yesterday, I've seen 24x7 folding on both my video cards (well, almost).

If you want to learn about the science behind Folding, look up some of those terms above...

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
I was literally about to start watercooling my system but then the quarantine hit.. Now I'm running FAH on a 3900X and 2080 Ti with stock coolers and no income coming in to buy water cooling. If I had better cooling I could dedicate all 24 CPU threads instead of only 6 to FAH since it would crash my system due to heat.

Anyone else also having instances where the WU for the GPU would send the data before reaching 100% completion? It does it sometimes for all types of WU categories.

I'm running a 2700x with the stock Prism cooler and a new MSI 5700 XT Gaming X inside a Corsair SPEC-02 Redshift mid tower case and I'm doing ok with cooling on the Medium Folding Power setting. There are times the CPU hits about 80.3C but otherwise normally stays in the mid-70s for the most part. That said, there have been times where I've hit the Pause button to let the Prism catch up a bit. A realize that a 3900x might run a little hotter than a 2700x, but my mitigation was keeping it on Medium since, like you, High made the CPU temps rise far more quickly. You certainly may have done this already, but just my attempt to give the Captain Obvious take on it. ;)

A thought...what kind of thermal paste is the cooler using? Mine is the stock also, but just another thought...

Even when I was running it with the RX 580, I never noticed it failing. Interesting.