News Folding@Home Now More Powerful Than World's Top 7 Supercomputers, Combined

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
It's STANFORD, dude. Look again.... carefully this time. I know the N and M are right next to each other, but there's no excuse for having made this error repeatedly and you did so FIVE TIMES in the post a few above this and three more times in the most recent one.

Check for yourself.

Reactions: bit_user
Some of you have asked about which jobs are the COVID-19 jobs on the Stamford site.

<snip>

And one other thing. I heard a rumor that one company (that used to do SETI) donated 6,000 Video cards to Stamford to bolster their efforts! That was the glitch that I probably thought was the F@H contest. It has taken Stamford over 2 weeks to get most of those cards placed into their system. Since about noon yesterday, I've seen 24x7 folding on both my video cards (well, almost).

If you want to learn about the science behind Folding, look up some of those terms above...

Who's this Sta"M"ford you speak of and how they have a connection to the F@H group that once was apart of Sta"N"ford University?

Also, as far im aware, F@H has been transferred from Sta"N"ford University to "Washington University in St. Louis" when Prof. Vijay Pande stepped down as director of the program and was taken up by one of his former students, Dr. Greg Bowman early last year

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's STANFORD, dude. Look again.... carefully this time. I know the N and M are right next to each other, but there's no excuse for having made this error repeatedly and you did so FIVE TIMES in the post a few above this and three more times in the most recent one.
The most perplexing thing is how he's supposedly been a long-time folder.

Anyway, I suggest dropping the point. He's been corrected in like half a dozen posts (even in my post, which he actually replied to), and seems unfazed.

I'm running a 2700x with the stock Prism cooler and a new MSI 5700 XT Gaming X inside a Corsair SPEC-02 Redshift mid tower case and I'm doing ok with cooling on the Medium Folding Power setting. There are times the CPU hits about 80.3C but otherwise normally stays in the mid-70s for the most part. That said, there have been times where I've hit the Pause button to let the Prism catch up a bit. A realize that a 3900x might run a little hotter than a 2700x, but my mitigation was keeping it on Medium since, like you, High made the CPU temps rise far more quickly. You certainly may have done this already, but just my attempt to give the Captain Obvious take on it. ;)

A thought...what kind of thermal paste is the cooler using? Mine is the stock also, but just another thought...

Even when I was running it with the RX 580, I never noticed it failing. Interesting.

Yeah if I gave it more threads and brought it down to medium usage it'd help the temps but then the time to complete the WU would be the same amount of time then if I just left it on 6 threads and full usage. Plus putting it on medium also affects my GPU since I can't pick and choose.

Oh and the issue with my GPU failing some WU was just because I had my card overclocked (see my signature for OC) and F@H is VERY sensitive to OC'd GPU's. So I just put it to default and no issues thus far.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks. Links would be appreciated. Anyway, here are some I found:

I'm not sure where to get a complete list, though.
In case anyone is interested, I ran across a very approachable description of the 29 known proteins in the SARS-CoV-2 genome and what they do.

If you're at all curious about viruses, it's probably worth a look. It reminds me a bit of dismantling a machine and seeing which parts do what.