Folding@Home Removed from PS3 with 4.30 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Not really surprised, this is just another casualty in scaling back the PS3 capabilities. For those keeping score, we lost:
- PS2 backward compatibility (both hardware then software emulation)
- Linux support / OtherOS
- 2 USB ports
- Card reader
- and now Folding@Home

I'm sure I probably missed some, but it's certainly not the same machine it was when it released in 2006. Granted, we did gain other functionality over the years, but still unfortunate to see features cut.

A bit late on the draw there Tom's as i heard about it over 24 hours ago.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-268010_28_6450.html#t2671318

As for why it was removed, there a few idea's floating around but to us folders, it's clear that in not just a Sony only move. If anything, it's looks more like it was at standfords end.

Hear's is what im guessing that's currently going on based on other resent events.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-268010_28_6450.html#t2671796

Well it probably has to do with something about the recent news about the gpu's quick return bonus.

In there it said some stuff about that before you had to make WU's that could only run on UNI, another with smp, and then the gpu. Now we already have WU's able to work on both UNI and SMP and here soon, GPU's will be able to run the same WU's as SMP/UNI and vice-versa.

If i had to guess why the PS3 is being let go, it's due too:

1. What was once the strong point of the PS3 of having (at the time) nearly the speed of the gpu and the flexibility of the cpu is now being eliminated by gpu's and multi cores/processor computers that can do the same work.

2. the PS3 been a static area in terms of performance over the years. (cpu not getting faster in them and amount of users been flat-lining lately)

3. PS3 probably need a special WU made for it so it cant take these "one WU for all clients" approach.

Basicly to simply put, for what there able to get out of it and the amount of work needed to keep the PS3 going is not worth the rewards anymore.

Also forgot to mention that there is a strong possibility (or hope) that the PS4 will support F@H.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22766#p226826

Re: Sony announces PS3 folding to end in November 2012
by VijayPande » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:03 pm

We've made an announcement as well. We're working on new technologies as well with new collaborations, including hopefully the PS4. We generally don't talk about things until they're released though.

[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]F@H is the best thing in the world Why the sony put down that ? I hope The CEO of Sony have cancer![/citation]

Without having all the info, you cant point out that it sony that's pulling the support. As you see in my comments above, there been quite a bit going at Stanford that make me believe that it's a joint decision or stanford thats pulling the support.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
"Back in 2007, when the program was introduced on PlayStation, the game console offered tremendous floating point processing power to drive Folding@Home simulations, but developments have given new GPUs the lead. "

What are the numbers? in terms of PS3 contribution vs. GPU total. and speed? anybody?

[citation][nom]raytseng[/nom]"What are the numbers? in terms of PS3 contribution vs. GPU total. and speed? anybody?[/citation]

Sadly, im sure the exact info your looking for only Stanford would have. I can lead you these to sites and allow you to piece the info together your self but even then, you wont have everything

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=207511

adipose

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
- PS2 backward compatibility (both hardware then software emulation)
- Linux support / OtherOS
- 2 USB ports
- Card reader
- and now Folding@Home

I'm not sure I agree with the list. For example, my PS3 is a 20GB model. It never had more than two USB ports. It never had a card reader. So the feature wasn't really removed, it was a premium feature.

PS3 backwards compatibility wasn't removed. It just wasn't kept around in newer models. My PS3 is still 100% backwards compatible. I only used it for the first 2 years anyway. Now there is no way I would play PS2 games, with all the PS3 titles available.

Linux support and Folding@home are legitimate examples. But of the two, only Linux really matters to end users (and that only affects a tiny portion of users).

While I would love to see backwards compatibility come back to the PS3 in a future model (or PS4), in reality it doesn't make sense. When the PS3 came out, it was necessary, but that time has passed. Now it's a luxury those of us who bought FAT PS3s have, but rarely take advantage of.

If people are still on the fence over whether to buy a PS3 at this late date, they aren't the customers Sony is interested in. Those customers won't be happy until they have a PS3 with all the original features for $100. But it was the drive to create a cheaper device for the cheaper gamers out there, that led to the removal of the cool features like backwards compatibility and memory card readers.

As for Linux and Folding...meh.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I hope they hurry up and remove themselves from the gaming industry, small number of users or not $ony should not have removed linux. I used to have 5 of these running f@h before I port blocked them to local only. I ran them in the winter mostly...free heat LOL.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]zakaron[/nom]Not really surprised, this is just another casualty in scaling back the PS3 capabilities. For those keeping score, we lost:- PS2 backward compatibility (both hardware then software emulation)- Linux support / OtherOS- 2 USB ports- Card reader- and now Folding@HomeI'm sure I probably missed some, but it's certainly not the same machine it was when it released in 2006. Granted, we did gain other functionality over the years, but still unfortunate to see features cut.[/citation]

You sir are almost right in evri thing you said, except one piece, What functionality did the PS3 gain over the years becoz really i didnt notice any improvements, just hearing more news of less features resulting from updates...
...Meanwhile at least the 360 had built in hardware for the long run, the updates keep making the platfrom stronger (and yes, i have owned 2 ps3s, that are now dead)

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Why remove this? What gains does Sony get from doing this. All i see is loss of compute power for a good cause. Sure there no longer the fastest but every bit count's.

Well MS keeps improving the xbox, making it better with wireless-N, Knect, Smaller cooler running. You have striped back the PS3 to a flimsy cheap plastic box. with a loading tray like that of a 90's CD player.

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
[citation][nom]adipose[/nom]- my PS3 is a 20GB model. It never had more than two USB ports. It never had a card reader. [/citation]

All the models before the release of the 20GB savers model came standard with 4 USB ports and card reader. So really they were not premium features. Sony just cut them out to cut costs.

[citation][nom]adipose[/nom]-PS3 backwards compatibility wasn't removed. It just wasn't kept around in newer models. [/citation]

That means the same thing as removed.

[citation][nom]adipose[/nom]-While I would love to see backwards compatibility come back to the PS3 in a future model (or PS4), in reality it doesn't make sense. [/citation]

Makes perfect sense to those who have purchased tons of games and would still like to play them for various reasons without having to use a different console each time.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Just add it back yourself (and anything else you want):
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2012/10/23/ps3-lv0-keys-leaked-cfw-released-security-hole-reportedly-unpatchable/

adipose

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
v90k:

Sorry for the confusion. I have a 20GB model (original $499 model, not saver's). You are right, it did have 4 USB, but it did not have a memory card reader. It also did not have WIFI.

My mistake on the 4 USB, but I consider the memory card reader a "luxury" item, since on day 1, the 20GB model (a very popular model in the beginning), did not have it.

> That means the same thing as removed.

What I mean is, it wasn't removed from consoles that already had it (unlike Linux support). There's a difference in taking a feature from a customer who purchased that feature, and just not selling a feature anymore.

But I agree, it sucks that it's gone, if only for occasional nostalgia. But honestly, I have it and never use it. I do hope they bring it back on the PS4, but at that point I will care more about PS3 backwards compat...

adipose

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I wasn't saying backwards compatibility isn't useful, but that it doesn't make sense for Sony to include it anymore. By removing it, they save money and most buyers don't care. The time for that was when the PS3 was new, not when it is near the end of its life.

I do wish they would sell it in the form of a $50 addon, so in case my PS3 FAT dies, there will at least be options if I want to play something from my PS2 library.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
software emulation do not really cost additional money since it was already developed. I am not sure why Sony removing it for "cost" saving. It doesnt make sense at all.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Funny projects are these... Million people compute stuff for free that huge companies use to make super expensive medications to sell to these same people to make billions :D

Status
Not open for further replies.