Question Font issue

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Attached is a screenshot of how fonts are being rendered on my system. Not sure why this is happening. I didnt change anything. didnt post an image cause i have to find out where to upload it since yall dont allow to upload, only insert via url. But the c's look like o's etc. Letters in alot of words kinda run together so i gotta look and read twice to see what word it actually is.

Considering that looks like a web page, then it means the font might not be part of your system. There might be font substitution going on, and kerning or other "fitting" of a non-monospaced font is blurring due to lack of insufficient resolution for that size. Anti-aliasing could also have an effect on it. Hard to say though.

If you use firefox you can right click on the text and inspect element. From there you might be able to figure which font is originally requested, whether there is substitution, and so on. This wouldn't do much to fix the issue, but if you know what is going on, then perhaps you might be able to get more information which is actually useful.

EDIT: It also looks like the site is badly done with incorrect spelling...though that won't have anything to do with font, it worries me the site isn't well run. It could be the font for "c" just looks like "o", but this seems kind of extreme.

ANOTHER EDIT: If you see this not as an image, but instead as text, then you could search for the correct spelling of incorrect words, and if it really is "c", then the "o" will still register as a "c" in a search. If the "o" really is an "o", then a word search using the incorrect spelling would find the word. Check if spelling is really correct, and thus a bad font, or if it is a bad site.

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
The first screenshot link is a shot of yahoo.com's home page and it looks fine on other devices like my mac but both my pc's here at work thats what it looks like in the screenshot. it looks to be misspelled but its not, like to spot i circled isnt misspelled, its the font being rendered wrong.

im using chrome. But heres another image of a screenshot of how im viewing "LinuxDevice's" post above and as you can see it looks normal.

LinuxDevice's Post screenshot

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
open word, see if you have these font, these was what in the yahoo homepage
font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

Word just takes on and selects the font of what you copied. I did it for two different style fonts into word and it just took on the font style that was selected. But its not specific to a browser it happens on all browsers. Chrome and edge, dont have firefox installed. Heres the other thing. The font on Toms Hardware here in this forum is rendering fine. theres no issues at all with reading the text on this page.

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I found somewhere else that people are saying a workaround is using an extension called Force custom font but edge still renders the wrong font. guess i could figure out how to delete Helvetica Neue from my system

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I think i fixed it. I pulled out my laptop and looked at my fonts and it doesn't even have helvetica installed on it so i deleted it from one of my work PC's and yahoo renders correctly on it in both browsers. think its just for somereason defaulting to helvetica somehow even though the system settings clearly says use arial or times new roman.

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I noticed that one of my PCs was good with no font issues but then after i did a windows update all the sudden i started to have font issues on it as well. Something along the way got corrupted but all is good for now i think after deleting Helvetica fonts.