For 3D why is HDMI Preferred?

edddotcom

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I am using Tridef to play Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs etc in 3d but for some reason the software only works with HDMI and not DVI-D
Any reason why this is the case?

I ask because when i use HDMI i get a border around my screen so im just wondering if theres anything i can do to get 3D through DVI-D

popatim

Titan
you usually get the border on your screen with HDMI when your screens resolution is greater than 1080 and you are using something lower than an hdmi1.4 gpu or cable so it defaults to 1080 you see...

abbadon_34

Distinguished
PC users know the truth, the media and industry does too but tries to convince everyone to use drm and spend money when they don't need to. Sadly, 3D TV's, Cable, and Blu-Ray are designed to require HDMI for 3d.

Single Link DVI-D/DVI-I doesn't support pixel clock rates necessary to maintain 120 FPS, but dual link DVI-D/DVI-I does up to 1920x1200. Due to the complex nature of the dual-link DVI-D/DVI-I connector, most mobile video cards do not wire up dual link connectors, leaving them only as single link. Cable labeling can also cause confusion since they share the same pin subset. Instead, it is preferred to use HDMI1.4/DispayPort for 3D as these connectors are electrically simpler and provide enough bandwidth to drive 3D displays at their native resolution.

It is possible to drive 3D displays over DVI but it is not recommended from a QA perspective, which is why AMD may not allow it.

AMD supports HD3D, and it is very rare that they support anything but HDMI or displayport. Samsung does have at least one except, their 700 model.

If the OP's monitor has dual link DVI and HDMI options, and his card only works with HDMI, I would guess he has a 3D Vision monitor that supports HD3D for PS3's and movies, but only on HDMI. This is a common configuration.