For best data protection: Raid 1 or Raid 5?

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Ok, I am a lazy data protector. If I have multiple drives set in RAID 1 I probably won't even replace a defective drive until I'm down to one left.

That being said, will the performance increase with RAID 5 make moving to RAID 5 worth it? If I have a drive failure, will the RAID 5 still work so I can grab the data and then replace a drive?

Solution
As far as data protection, RAID1 absolutely offers better data protection than RAID5. With RAID 1 you will have 2 fully independent copies of your data, where with RAID 5 it has to be calculated across the remaining drives. Remeber also that performance will become awful if 1 of the drives in RAID 5 is dead (OP stated he probably won't replace a drive).

FireWire2

Distinguished

Yes, RAID5 will give you more speed... It's a function of spindles more drive more speed - that is the general.

Raid5 utilize space more efficient than RAID1 or RAID10. If you have a hot spare, then the RAID will grab that drive and rebuilt immediately.

Or of course you can just HOT-PLUG ( this works best) a replace drive, it will rebuilt

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
As far as data protection, RAID1 absolutely offers better data protection than RAID5. With RAID 1 you will have 2 fully independent copies of your data, where with RAID 5 it has to be calculated across the remaining drives. Remeber also that performance will become awful if 1 of the drives in RAID 5 is dead (OP stated he probably won't replace a drive).

Solution